Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm currently the owner of a beautiful beagle border collie mix. He is currently 4 and a half months old. Off the bat I'll say that he is well socialized, confident and curious and loves humans. In fact that's the main problem: he is so easily excited by anyone that very quickly and consistently he'll reach that frenzied stage of puppy biting and when he does he won't stop for anything and has recently started to bite quite hard in his excitement. (He's drawn blood on me in all of the last 4 days).

Im a big believer in positive training but this problem has got me stumped. Let me go through why:

I've trained his bite inhibition so that while relaxed he is incredibly gentle, but in his exited state this goes straight out the window.

I've tried ignoring it but this doesn't really stop it in a reasonable time and as his bites become harder it doesn't feel possible to maintain.

Yelping or yipping like a puppy only seems to make him more excited.

Trying to give him a 'time out' to cool off is not really working since it's incredibly hard to separate him from a human once he's locked onto the target (especially without having your hand bitten off)

Using toys to redirect doesn't seem to work either as once he's locked into you he won't be distracted by toys. Food works some of the time (40%) but I don't want to be rewarding him nor does it really feel effective enough to be a good solution.

I'm really at a loss for what I can do in this situation. If anyone has any ideas it would be very welcome. (I've heard mixed things about using a spray bottle)

In short: extreme case of 4-5 month old puppy biting. The old methods don't seem to be working and I have no idea what to do now

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Totally normal.

If it's hard to separate him without being bitten, have him dragging a light leash (under supervision of course) at all times. If he gets rowdy, gently lead him to his crate, pen, behind a baby gate, or tether him, and ignore him for a few minutes.

Puppies who are 'going crazy!' don't need more play, more exercise, or more training in those moments... They need to be put away. They need to learn that sometimes it's time to chill (however much they may protest), and they will likely take a nap once they learn that throwing a fit won't work.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
At 4-5 months old, your puppy is still just that...a puppy. An infant. He does not have the mental maturity to control his impulses yet. With border collie in the mix, yes, he will be very nippy until he learns that biting humans is off-limits. It is a long process that takes MONTHS.

You don't have to let him chew on you...you can remove him, haha. You can redirect to a toy, and if he still insists on chewing on you, withdraw attention for a few minutes. Step over a baby gate, out of an ex-pen, whatever, just leave him alone for a while so he learns that teeth on humans = end of fun time. Remain consistent with that method. You can add a word like "oops!" or yelp, but as you've seen, it sometimes just gets them excited.

If the overarousal is happening when you come home, or something, try barring him from the entrance so he can't mob you when you walk in the door. Ignore him until he is calm, then give attention. If he starts being a butt, ignore him again until he is calm. Nobody gives the dog any attention until he is calm. If you want, you can also teach the dog to go grab a toy when people come in the house. It helps occupy their mouth. I like to play with my dog when I walk in the door, but what you want is totally up to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts