Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have started potty training our puppy and so far have had success on teaching him denning and not peeing in his crate. He is sleeping through the night (10pm to 7am). He also does not have any accidents on the couch however everywhere else is fair game.

We have tried to make sure that he always had supervision but he is so small it's hard to see if /when he starts peeing. It seems that if he is running around and stops for more than 2 seconds without sitting, he peed/pees.

Most seem to suggest removing the chance to make mistskes so for this reason he spends most of his time in his crate or on the couch, but obviously he has got that down pat. (One crate accident over a month ago, none on the couch). We have gotten as much as a week and a half without issue but he gets very little floor time (less than five minutes a day) and the second we try to give him even five more minutes we have an accident. How best do we make the jump to understanding not to pee on the floor? He can hold his bladder for 4hrs in crate or couch but not 10 minutes even being watched like a hawk on the floor so it's not a bladder control issue...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Only a suggestion.

Have you tried tethering the dog to you?
The dog only knows the crate and couch are off limits.

Try taking the dog outside every 10-15 minutes in the beginning. You will learn the dog's schedule. Then you can shift the outdoor trips to his schedule. Always use a key word command when going outside. When he does business outside, be sure to praise and reward. Something else to understand. Dogs do not empty their bladder in 1 stop. They will hold some for marking or piddling at other locations. You can think of this as Doggy Facebook or Doggy Twitter. The point, do not expect a 1 stop piddle and done.

Be patient. Do not punish the dog for accidents.

In the beginning of training my mini-schnauzer I used the word "Outside" as the keyword. Now, 4 years later, if I put on my coat is enough cue for an "Outside" command, no verbalization. When we are out enjoying the weather and Doggy Twitter, we walk until my dog is trying to send a Tweet but can only make vapor. Then we can go back inside. Sometimes this takes 3-4 Tweets, other times.....he has many Tweets to make.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I've read through so much helpful information on the site and in the forums, so first thank you for that! I have a similar question so adding it to this thread.
I have a 5.5 month old mixed breed who appears to be mostly great Dane and reportedly viszla. Weighs 50 lbs or so already.
Potty training has been hit or miss. He has been doing relatively well, but the past week or so he's been having really random accidents. For example today I took him down and he peed, then about 30 minutes after we came back up he just started peeing. He then went into his crate and continued peeing. I thought he had leaned his places by now and I think he has bladder control at this age and size. At times, it seems like he pees because he's anxious that he's going to get in trouble for something- at first my partner and I didn't do the right thing and were punishing him for accidents. He's an unneutered male (will be going for surgery soon), so I thought maybe that could have something to do with it, but the accidents don't appear to be in response to anything. I don't think it's a bladder infection or anything medical bc he goes 8+ hours without a walk at night without issue.

I am stumped... Not to mention worried we caused this problem by improper training. Is it too late?! Help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts