Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update: I've been pretty sick and I was in the the hospital for a week. I'm still recovering.. Frodo is a teenager now and I apologize if I ever thought "it can't be that bad." :)

So we have a few basic problems.

1. Door bolting. He usually comes back quick- for me, but not only do I recognize the danger (luckily our street is maybe 1 car an hour), our neighbors (whose son got scratched by the dog once when his nail trimming was behind) run screaming and hollering. He is purposefully antagonizing the dog, but the the dog still just wants to play. According to the dad, the kid is doing nothing wrong. He's slamming his bike against our fence when the dog is out. We are scared on an animal control complaint .
2. Barking. He barks when we leave. He barks at play time. He barks when I put the the kids to sleep. He barks if he's in the yard and people walk by. He barks at other dogs....etc. Ideas? DH is going batty...he's not a night person and the noise is hard, and it wakes the kids up
3. Still LAT. We have made some progress but it's so slow and two steps forward three steps back. Is there any other methods that are quicker?

Sorry if all this is rather obvious.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you are really concerned fashion a double door places he can door dash. Either inside or out make up some sort of gate like the ones at dog parks and zoo aviaries to prevent escape then use it! At the same time train him to stay put when door is open, he is only allowed in that gated area when he is supposed to be coming and going. The added gate doesn't have to be Fort Knox, even my medium sized dogs respected a 2' tall barrier when I was there. It should help you relax about those oops moments as he won't be loose if he goes past the first door/gate.

A dated video of what the boy is doing so the parents see what is going on? He probably doesn't understand that bugging the dog and making him bark is making things worse. This is a very hard lesson to learn, lots of so called adults cannot learn that violence begets violence!

Dogs bark. They usually bark less if they cannot see or hear triggers as well. Sleepy dogs aren't looking for things to bark at. My dogs are in the house in the room with me most of the time. If they are outside and they start barking they come in the house. If they bark out the front facing window then they lose access to that room. I train a settle and get the dogs enough exercise daily so they aren't always looking for trouble. If I get loud, they get louder so when talking to them or calling them in the house I practically whisper, if they have really lost it I 'shun' them by turning away and freezing in supreme disapproval. Ginger started with us very yappy but now she generally only has to let loose once a day at the most. We are hoping some of this is the training we did and that will work with Bucky as well but she is a very special dog so it could be mostly her.

Have you taught Frodo to settle down? I was actually just going for a down with Bucky but it seems to have generalized into a nice settle. Bucky is on the move looking for things he can crunch up and eat and things to bark at unless he is settled. Life with Bucky is so much more pleasant now that he can relax for a bit. I took a few treats, clicker and my iphone outside and lay down on my chaise with him on a leash so he couldn't just go off and eat the yard. Played a game on the phone while keeping an eye on what he was doing. Took a while but eventually he lay down, c/t. Repeated until out of cookies and did another session adding in the verbal cue the following day. After that he was downing on cue and settling in the house. I think he is shining me on and already knew this stuff, he is way too quick at getting it. With a baby dog like Frodo I probably would hand feed additional treats as he is laying down to let him know laying down is much appreciated. Standing, barking and pacing dogs don't get any attention, only laying down dogs get cookies and praise. Outside might be hard for him, try a room with no windows to see out and work towards settling anywhere any time and without you next to him. Try to match the energy you want him to have by moving slowly and calmly when you offer treats. This exercise was quite nice for bonding with him as he has just been here a month. With my first dog I went for 1/2 hour a day but don't really care these days, just so long as we have some quiet spells when I need to have my legs up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts