Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I are looking for a second dog, a male companion for our female resident. Zoey also isn't terribly keen on other females.

So I find a dog I think might be compatible with Zoey, fill out the paper work, get approved for a visit. Go to the visit, the adoption counselor (local humane society) goes to get the dog. When she brings him out he promptly takes a cursory sniff of a cat cage sitting in the front office, and he marks it. :doh:

I do the visit, I like the dog and we make plans for Zoey and the new dog to meet. When i get home, I tell hubby about the marking incident. He says "the dog isn't even house trained." I disagree, telling him marking is entirely different then pottying for males.

So I'm looking for two different kinds of input a) is marking a different behavior? and b) IF we bring this dog home, how do I let him know we don't tag the couch?

Our furniture is old and set to be replaced, as is the carpet... still, it's icky to live with. Thoughts on keeping this to an absolute minimum?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Marking is different than not being housebroken. If he lifted his leg and they had to bring in a mop instead of just needing a paper towel, then it's housebreaking. BUT, the HS is likely very stressfull and stinky, so a lot of housebroken dogs will mark. At the kennel many, many dogs would come in and pee on the freezers, the place was very clean and not smelly but other dog's smell in the building so some 'jerks' would pee on everything.

When you bring him home be fair, take him to pee first outside and then be sure to catch him in the act so assume he 'might' mark the first week and act accordingly. Ticket lifted his leg in the house one time and I just grabbed his butt and collar and took him right out the door. Never again has he tried that! He might be just fine in the house, if not there are belly bands and some consistant training should help fix the issue. I wouldn't pass him over based on his actions in the shelter though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, I see, that's what belly bands are for.... it's been a LONG time since I've been around a male that marked, so i wasn't sure. Our GSD was a male, but he had very bad displaysia, so he was probably not physically able to mark.

My plan was to walk him well, 20 minutes or so before we leave the shelter, and another 20 minutes when we get home.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
My dog has had ONE single accident in my house in 3 years. He is fully housebroken and does not "mark" inside houses and never did from the day I got him from the humane society. He of course tries to stop at every tree while outside to mark (he's trained to continue walking or running though on command, I sure ain't stopping every few feet)

But IF he is somewhere new, especially if it doesn't feel like the "indoors" and another dog has peed, he might lift his leg to mark and it's my job to catch him before he does- places like the vet's office (where they are totally used to that) and pet stores (I've stopped him before he could do more than lift a leg). I think that has happened maybe 3-4 times over the years. We visited a friend with a non-housetrained puppy and he peed where that puppy had peed.

I agree with Bordermom that a dog peeing on a common area in a place like the humane society doesn't mean much in terms of being housebroken or not. My opinion is that it changes from "marking" to a housebreaking issue when the dog is marking in his own home, places where dogs have not been peeing, or is actually emptying his bladder inside.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
If a dog pees in the house whether he is marking or not it means he is not housetrained. I have a male who pees on everything he can reach while outside but doesn't dare pee in my house or anyone else's house.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have babysat numerous small breed males that upon first entry to a home where other males are around will sniff at an obvious corner with what looks to be the intention of marking. I watch carefully and quickly make a hard uh-uh sound and hover closely and have yet to have one make the decision to do so. My OH, on the other hand, has had one or two slip ups. I believe many housetrained males in a new environment will consider marking. If they are housetrained most will also, however, quickly understand that it is not acceptable.

There have been three - one Chihuahua, a Papillon, and a Shih Tzu that were persistent if not watched (belly bands then) . . . . but their owners admitted to not being attentive to this at home either.

SOB

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Hawkeye frequently goes over to a woman's house who has two male Doxies who mark in her house, and even there he doesn't do it. But I do wonder what goes thru his mind while he's there and smells the cleaned up pee spots and knows he can't mark over it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If a dog pees in the house whether he is marking or not it means he is not housetrained.
I disagree. When we first adopted Marlin, his previous owners of 6 years said he was 100% housebroken and NEVER went to the bathroom in the house. As soon as we got home and we stepped foot inside to door, he lifted his leg to mark. I clapped my hands and shouted "NO!" and that was the end of it. 6 months later there hasn't been a single incident. You see it all the time at the vets office and in pet stores. Owners who INSIST their dogs are house broken stand there dumbfounded when their dogs lift their legs.

Some people are luckier then others, but marking, especially in areas where there have been others animals in the past, doesn't necessarily mean not housebroken.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Not marking in the house is part of housetraining. A properly housetrained dog doesn't mark in the house. My puppy started marking at 5.5 months, but has not once even attempted to do it inside the house, because he knows he shouldn't pee in the house. He was never punished for peeing inside, he was just trained to go outside.

But that doesn't mean he won't mark someone else's house, or at a kennel. Dogs don't generalise housetraining very well, so being housetrained at home doesn't mean he will be housetrained in other people's house. So when arriving at a new house, housetraining should be repeated, but will be much quicker the second time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not marking in the house is part of housetraining. A properly housetrained dog doesn't mark in the house. My puppy started marking at 5.5 months, but has not once even attempted to do it inside the house, because he knows he shouldn't pee in the house. He was never punished for peeing inside, he was just trained to go outside.

But that doesn't mean he won't mark someone else's house, or at a kennel. Dogs don't generalise housetraining very well, so being housetrained at home doesn't mean he will be housetrained in other people's house. So when arriving at a new house, housetraining should be repeated, but will be much quicker the second time.
I've read this in a couple books written about rescue dogs too. We have two and a half acres of forest behind our house, so I'm hoping I can get all the "marking" out of him before he comes in the house the first time

The dog we're looking at right now is a Rottweiler someone left chained up, to an engine block in the garage in a foreclosed home. He seems to know all his commands, in fact, he's johnny on the spot quick with them! But I know they can get stressed out the first few days, and oopsies can happen.

Wish us luck!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I believe many housetrained males in a new environment will consider marking. If they are housetrained most will also, however, quickly understand that it is not acceptable.
Yeah, Wally did a lot of marking when we first moved into the temporary housing. The stress of being re-relocated, all the changes/loss of his routines, and personality (and possibly other dogs in this house before we came) I believe led to him marking one specific spot in the house (the entry to the second level where he eats, used to sleep before we could get a new crate, and play) - an area he wanted to and felt like he needed to claim, and it place it would make sense that another family's dog would have used a lot too. I couldn't catch him because I'm sleeping, so I had to approach it from his emotional side instead of directly like you mention. I would do that, but he never would if I'm up - he has something (me) to take his mind off it.

Now he doesn't do it at all anymore, and it's not like I "rebroke him", things have settled down, he has a crate again, can sleep in an enclosed space like he's used to, and he's much more calm and relaxed about the new house and the new neighborhood in general. I agree that it's not always as cut and dry.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I had a " marker " a little while back. He always tried to mark my kitchen table legs! xp Yukkkkk!

I would just catch him in the act and say " Outside " and nothing else and hurry him out the door. It took about a week or so ... but he caught on rather quickly. He was not housetrained what-so-ever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Bordermom that a dog peeing on a common area in a place like the humane society doesn't mean much in terms of being housebroken or not.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
At least you are in the right frame of mind. You know the dog will be in a new situation and will be nervous. You are expecting accidents to happen. Better to face the situation that way instead of expecting no accidents, than stand there mortified when the dog lifts its leg within the house. Congrats to you for giving a rescued dog a second chance. good luck to the both of you

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The big meet up is scheduled for today, so nervous. Zoey's been with us a long time and has had time to come out of her shell, and she really enjoys meeting new dogs her size. Maverick, the potential adoptee, is described as liking other dogs, but reserved, occasionally play bowing.

Another family met him before us, but their male Rott was "too forward" for Maverick. I'm not sure what to make of that.

I'm going to take her for a good long walk before we go to meet Maverick, maybe even two walks!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
different things.. Rusty has to wear a belly band in the house(4 years of consitant training hasnt done a thing to stop his marking..heck he has been umbelicaled to me for almost 2 years now and he will still lift his leg the second I am not staring directly at him..put him in a crate and he will mark all over the inside of the crate etc..) however if he actually has to pee he with pull me straight to the door, desperate get get outside to potty. also marking inside places like shelters and kennels says nothing of a dogs housebreaking behaviour, at the kennel/daycare I work at, almost every dogs pee's inside, everything is bleached several times a day, but its not not "inside" to the dogs, everyone is horrified when their dog who has never lifted their legs indoors in the their lives..even common areas like stores and such... walks in and doesnt even hesitate to lift their leg, it does not translate to the home or other areas in life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts