Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
We have a dog who constantly itches and doesn't stop the vet has no idea what is wrong so we were going thru possible issues. An allergy to wheat was one we thought of.

So to test this we were thinking of giving him a diet of potato, Carrot, Rice, and chicken and where wondering if this would give him complete nutrition or what else we would have to add?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First lets start wiith maybe elimanating why he is itchy. what are you currently feeding?
What they eat changed depending on what mom brings home any given week. This dog outa 3 is the only one with issues.

I've seen purina, ol'roy and a few others im blanking on names but those 2 I listed are more common to see in my house

·
Registered
334 Posts
No--chicken, carrots, rice and potatoes is not enough for any dog.

Ol Roy is crap--so is Purina.

There are a lot of decent dog foods out there for a good price. 4 Health, Chicken soup for the Soul and Diamond Naturals would all be a huge improvement over Ol Roy--and are reasonably priced--for starters.

It very well could be a food allergy--or even fleas or environment. Regardless, they would all benefit from a bit better food. : )

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would avoid anything like Ol' Roy or Purina, like goldens said, they are crap, especially Ol Roy. Anything you can get at the grocery store, avoid.

·
Registered
740 Posts
He doesn't need potato or rice in his diet - any grains/starchy foods can be eliminated completely. I would just feed him meat for a week and see how he does. If his allergies goes away, then you know it's at least food based.

Try feeding him raw chicken (ex. chicken wings, chicken thigh) and some raw meaty bones, and see if he fares better. No need to introduce it gradually because his body is built for this kind of feeding. If he doesn't get better after this, then it might be environmental allergies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks guys, the vet said it might be a nerotic itching behavior but the meds he gave weren't working so the next thing he said was diet but didn't give us anything besides diet so we were trying to slowly figure out what to feed lol

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
All those foods you posted are full of alergens to dogs. You need to buy a differnt food, one with out grains or wheat. id also go for something fish based, not chicken. as thats a common alergen also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts