Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when Ludo was neutered in November of last year (1years old) he weighed in at 67lbs even. The other day I took him in for a checkup and he weighted 90lbs even.

Now, I know he was not finished growing when he was neutered (he has gained some height on him). But even the vet says he needs to lose about 7-10lbs. He is a bit of a fatty.

I have had him on weight control food for four months now. For his weight it says to feed him 3c a day. He gets two meals, each 1 1/2c. He will only eat one of them. So he is eating half of his needed food per day. The vet says this isn't abnormal as he is part Husky and Huskys often don't need at much food as other dogs, they self regulate.

The problem is: how do I get him to lose weight? I don't want to feed him any less because it is already so low. I cannot increase his exercise any further than it already is. We go for an early morning 20min walk (he comes back panting and flops on the ground exhausted) and late in the evening I let him loose in our tennis courts for about 20 minutes and he runs like mad (it is his only off leash time when outside). During the day we play games on the stairs for about 15-20 minutes in the afternoon so he is running up and down. I cannot walk him during the day due to the heat. He doesn't handle it well with his thick double coat so he stays inside with the AC.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sorry you have not had more responces to your question!

1/2 cup twice a day is what my male (26lbs)min-schnauzer gets, my female (19)lbs gets 1/3 cup twice a day. The male is quite lean, probably can get more, but the female is just on the border of being on the plump side.

Both my dogs are on the senior diet now, less fattening/lower cals. ages 7 & 9.

Your dog may just not like the new food, I would try going back to his old food but not three cups a day, try 2/3 cups but only twice a day, but here is the kicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW many treats does your dog get a day and are they low cal treats? That is why my girl is gaining weight. There are some really healthy treats available that are low cal, like the samples we got here not too long ago called liver Chiplets by Durango www.durangopet.com Not pushing this brand but they do not have so many questionable ingredients that the key.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think lack of exercise is the issue. When our husky mix was 1-year old she was getting a minimum of 2-3 hours of running/walking per day plus 2-3 hours of play time (fetch, running around with other dogs, games in the house). And that wasn't enough exercise for her. So we took her to daycare and/or the dog park 2-3 days a week to get her doggy ya-yas out. She was inexhaustible at that age. She's calmed down quite a bit now that she's 3, but she still gets daycare 3 days a week and multiple-mile walks + play most days.

If you upped the exercise (e.g. indoor daycare some days + lengthen the walk to an hour in the am + add 30 minutes walking to the tennis court romp) and switched foods as Bob suggests, I bet the dog would eat more and the weight would come off. You can't compare foods simply by # of cups because they can vary so much in terms of protein, but our dog gets 4 cups of kibble + 1 can of wet + a few 100% meat treats (venison, buffalo, salmon) + her daily ziggy and a teaspoon of peanut butter every day (yes she is a spoiled brat!). She really packs it in, but has maintained a healthy 64-65 lb weight for 2 years because of all the exercise she gets. If her exercise level goes down for a week or so and I still feed her the same stuff, she'll start gaining weight, so I up her exercise again and she quickly gets back to her ideal weight.

I know you said you can't increase exercise, but 3 20 minute stretches doesn't seem like much exercise for a high-energy breed - I believe you said your pooch is a husky/heeler? I'm just basing this on my own experience. Hopefully others will weigh in (no pun intended!) with some additional advice.

BTW - do you have a picture? Would love to see a larger one - your avatar pic looks very cute.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Some weight formulas don't contain the most wonderful ingredients and sometimes it can be better to feed less of a normal food than try weight control or management. That said I've known people who have used it and taken off weight as well.

As the poster above said by cup isn't always a good comparison. You need to known how many calories are in a cup. The calories are a better comparison to see how much your dog is eating a day, and what your dog ate before.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I am fighting the same battle with Susie. She was up to 80 lbs. and I have managed to get her down to 75 but there she sits. She is on a Weight Control food that is the lowest fat I could find 9 percent and Protein 32 percent. She had been getting 3/4 cup am and pm. plus any treats she gets for Agility are low-fat weiners. I have reduced that to 1/2 cup am and pm. I took her into the Vet for a thyroid test but it was normal so ruled that out. She is a spayed female and 5 years old.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses!
Sorry you have not had more responces to your question!

1/2 cup twice a day is what my male (26lbs)min-schnauzer gets, my female (19)lbs gets 1/3 cup twice a day. The male is quite lean, probably can get more, but the female is just on the border of being on the plump side.

Both my dogs are on the senior diet now, less fattening/lower cals. ages 7 & 9.

Your dog may just not like the new food, I would try going back to his old food but not three cups a day, try 2/3 cups but only twice a day, but here is the kicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW many treats does your dog get a day and are they low cal treats? That is why my girl is gaining weight. There are some really healthy treats available that are low cal, like the samples we got here not too long ago called liver Chiplets by Durango www.durangopet.com Not pushing this brand but they do not have so many questionable ingredients that the key.
He loves his food he is on now. It is actually why he is on this food and not back on B.G. yet. Earlier this year we had some problems with him and I had to pull him off of B.G. we are now hoping to put him back on it soon (God, I hope!).

He gets one hot dog per day broken up to be small pieces through the day. Sometimes a few small cubes of cheese. On a rare occasion (once a month) I bake him some cookies and those last until I have to toss them.

I think lack of exercise is the issue. When our husky mix was 1-year old she was getting a minimum of 2-3 hours of running/walking per day plus 2-3 hours of play time (fetch, running around with other dogs, games in the house). And that wasn't enough exercise for her. So we took her to daycare and/or the dog park 2-3 days a week to get her doggy ya-yas out. She was inexhaustible at that age. She's calmed down quite a bit now that she's 3, but she still gets daycare 3 days a week and multiple-mile walks + play most days.

If you upped the exercise (e.g. indoor daycare some days + lengthen the walk to an hour in the am + add 30 minutes walking to the tennis court romp) and switched foods as Bob suggests, I bet the dog would eat more and the weight would come off. You can't compare foods simply by # of cups because they can vary so much in terms of protein, but our dog gets 4 cups of kibble + 1 can of wet + a few 100% meat treats (venison, buffalo, salmon) + her daily ziggy and a teaspoon of peanut butter every day (yes she is a spoiled brat!). She really packs it in, but has maintained a healthy 64-65 lb weight for 2 years because of all the exercise she gets. If her exercise level goes down for a week or so and I still feed her the same stuff, she'll start gaining weight, so I up her exercise again and she quickly gets back to her ideal weight.

I know you said you can't increase exercise, but 3 20 minute stretches doesn't seem like much exercise for a high-energy breed - I believe you said your pooch is a husky/heeler? I'm just basing this on my own experience. Hopefully others will weigh in (no pun intended!) with some additional advice.

BTW - do you have a picture? Would love to see a larger one - your avatar pic looks very cute.
I'll post a picture down below. He is adorable. It isn't only the heat. When his exercise increases, he tends to hurt himself. He was injured when he was a pup and he just can't take long walks or runs or more than a few a day. Now, until really recent this was fine. But he has really packed on the chunk lately

He isn't high energy (surprisingly given his breeds). That much I am grateful for.

When I had just had him for one wee -- 11 weeks old and 12lbs

8 months old and 55lbs

13 months old and 70lbs

19 months old and 90lbs

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I got him he was living in a car with his owners, a ton of other puppies and the two parents (I rescued him rather than let him go to a kill shelter). I don't know exactly what happened but they informed me that he fell from the backseat, out the passenger door when it was open (stopped) and he "limped for a few days" afterwards. I took him into my vet when I got him and she said nothing was torn and nothing was broken but he has never been able to handle heavy exercise or activity without that leg clicking and him limping.

I have had it looked at by other vets since then who again tell me nothing is torn or broken but something IS wrong or he wouldn't act like this. If I keep his activity level about where it is, he is fine and it doesn't hinder him. But any high levels (running for more than about 30-40 minutes lik in the courts) and he will limp for a day or two after.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I would get a vet to do some tests on him then. if he only eats 1.5 cups of food a day, does small, but does excersise about a hour a day. There has to be another reason why he has gained 10 extra pounds out of no where.

where do you liive, Does he like water? take him swimmimg. Or excersise him by a creek,lake,river and let him wade inthe water to cool off.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh he loves the water. I take him to the ocean whenever I can and he just goes nuts running in the waves :) Which is surprising given his first interaction with them (it didn't go well....)

Well the weight came on (a total of 23lbs) after his neuter surgery. Only 10 of it is "overweight" according to the vet. He said the other 13lbs are most likely just Ludo finishing growing but he does need to lose some of it.

He is going back in next week to have his ears looked at again (yeast infections - yuck) so we'll talk about some testing then. Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he is a cutie. His ears are my absolute favorite. That and his constant smile. His ears just have such a unique pattern on them compared to his body.

What cracks me up is how different he looked from his siblings. I saw pictures of all the other pups and they are all really dark and small and lanky and he has the body of the Husky and is much lighter.

What can I say? I'm a fan!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
He really is very pretty...or handsome...I love his coloring. I have a bit of an ongoing weight issue with one of my shelties. I've only been feeding him 1 cup a day, which looks like such a small amount to me, and now after talking with some people on a sheltie forum, it looks like I may still be overfeeding him. It was recommended to me that I cut back on his food by 1/4 and add mashed up, cooked veggies, like green beans, to help him feel full. Haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know how it goes....you probably know this, but also, on the bag feeding instructions, be sure to feed the amount for the weight he is supposed to be, not the weight he is now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a good idea about the vegetables! I will try that, Ludo does love his veggies.

Thanks for the advice. And thank you, his coloring is what first attracted me to him. He has darkened a bit since he was a pup, especially on his back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts