Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my golden doodle puppy this past Friday, he pooped in the car and it was a brown, soft stool. His breeders were giving him food called 4Health, but since the store that carries that brand isn't near us, we bought Wellness Complete Health Puppy. The breeders gave us a little bit of his old food and told us to start mixing in 50/50 of the old and new food on the third day. The first day we got him, he poops were always soft and brown. But after giving him the food 50/50, his stool changed to a mustard color and it came out much softer (I don't know if I would call it diarrhea because it's not completely liquid). We have also been giving him these treats called Wellness Soft Puppy Bites in lamb and salmon as treats whenever he goes to the bathroom outside. Since his poop was much softer and mustard colored when we did 50/50, we decided to do 25% Wellness Complete Health and 75% 4Health instead. His stool is still mustard colored with sometimes a little bit of brown mixed in, but not as liquid. Today, we were trying to train him to like his crate and know his name. Because of this, we were giving him more of the soft bite treats than usual. When he pooped later, it was much softer again and mustard colored. Whenever the stool has been mustard colored, it has been a lot smellier as well. When we looked up the reviews online for the soft bites, we saw that it caused diarrhea in some puppies. So we have now decided to stop giving him the soft bites as treats and instead give him pieces of boiled chicken breast. I wanted to know if that would be a good and healthy choice for him. Also, during the night we have to take him out of his crate 2-3x and take him to poop/pee outside. Since I want to use the chicken as a treat now, would it be ok if I shredded the chicken up, put it in a ziplock bag, put that in the fridge, and take it out during the night when I need to take him outside? Would it be ok to feed him cold chicken? I just don't know if I will have the time to put the chicken in the microwave during the night every time he wakes up because I usually have to take him out quick. I would also like to know if these stool changes are normal or if they aren't, then if I should take him to the vet. Thank you!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would say that it is the change, some do 25/75 before going 50/50. Most dogs will get better after a time, I hated doing a food search with mine because it was such a long process. You may find that wellness I not the best and have to move on. I would give it some more time and reassess. On the chicken it will be fine cold most pups are not that picky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long do you think I should keep trying to do this for before I know Wellness might not be good for him? I thought the pups go poop depending on how many times they eat. So if they eat 3x, then they should poop 3x, maybe 4x. As of now, he has gone to poop 4x (starting from when he was given breakfast this morning), but that was right before he was given his dinner tonight. So I'm pretty sure he will go soon again and then he usually poops again during the middle of the night. Doesn't that seem a bit excessive?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Are you feeding him the same amount that the breeders did? Changing homes is really hard at first so it's good the breeder gave you some of the same food he'd been getting. Dogs will lighten the load when stressed and that could be part of what is going on. You might try feeding a bit less as his gut isn't processing the food well anyway.

My first dog was horrible about changing food too. I wanted to switch every bag but it was such an ordeal I only changed once a year.

I stressed over soft stool but suspect the dog is fine unless you see uncontrollable elimination, frequent stools or it gets watery and nasty. Soft stool is going to smell more just because it's wetter. If you are worried go to the vet. I average a completely non essential vet visit per year. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

Just hold the cold chicken in your hand, it will be fine. Dogs readily eat frozen chicken but warm would smell better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The breeders told us to feed him 1/4 amount of food per each meal so that is what we do. I could try to go a little less but I'm scared the little guy might get hungry. I feel like his stools might be frequent because if he eats only 3 meals a day, then he poops 5-6x a day including in the middle of the night. Another issue we are having now is that when he goes to poop, he has some of the poop stuck on his fur around his butt hole and it looks like some is sticking out of the hole. We thought he might have to still go to poop again but no matter how long we wait, he just wants to play around. We try to clean that area up ourselves but some residue always ends up staying anyways and we don't know what to do. We will hopefully be visiting the vet tomorrow so lets see what happens!

Do you think I could try adding pumpkin puree to his meals? I heard that could firm up the stool and he won't be losing excessive water from his body.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He has a messy rear end because stool is soft. Long haired dogs often need 'sanitary trims' in the area so it stays clean too. A good butt wash will fix him up until the next time.

I wouldn't be concerned with him being hungry. Better to get his gut on track. Short rations for even one day could make a big difference. Then you would add a kibble more each meal if you see that he's getting skinny. I doubt you will. He's pooping out a lot of calories right now!

If you try pumpkin a little goes a long way but if it's needed it is terrific. I gave my 44 pound adult dog about 1 measuring tablespoon per meal when she had a horrible case of the trots and just couldn't quite kick it. A day with pumpkin and stool was perfect so I was able to transition her from the chicken and mushy rice back to her normal kibble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts