Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon after we brought Emmett home, I posted a pic and asked what breeds thought Emmet might have mixed in with him.

http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/109432-border-what-else-do.html

Well, as fate would have it, I ran across a little "deal" on a doggie dna test. Of course, I could NOT resist, so I bought it.

Here's the results:
*drum roll*

Emmett.jpg

Summary: Dalmation, Boxer, Chow Chow, and American Hairless.

while it was a BIG surprise, I'm super happy with the results. I was only expecting percentages, nothing this detailed!

.... and yeah, looking at him through another lens, I do see a lot of these traits.

Love my 'lil wiggler.'

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It's weird that it would say American Hairless. I'm pretty sure that's just a hairless variant of the rat terrier.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow. Doggie DNA testing. I knew they DNA tested for showing but it never occurred to me that I could just have a dog DNA tested. I was raised with a Chow Chow, she was a good dog. I love the way she barked. It sounds like "oof, oof" like she was lifting something heavy. I'm gonna have to google what an American Hairless is though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's weird that it would say American Hairless. I'm pretty sure that's just a hairless variant of the rat terrier.
You're right, it's a close relative of the Rat Terrier.

Where did you get it done? I'm interested in getting one as well for newly adopted pup.
The name of the company is Wisdom Panel, wisdompanel.com. Be sure to read the section about the Mixed Breed test, so you know what to expect. Based on the site, our results were pretty unusual.

We bought the test on Amazon for about $10 less. We always check Amazon for everything because they have both good and bad customer reviews, and a lot of times they have a better price.

·
Banned
158 Posts
That's so interesting!! I am really looking forward to having Dita tested when she is a little older (just waiting because puppies are EXPENSIVE! Right now, all of our money is going toward the necessities...we'll get her a DNA test when we aren't spending hundreds of dollars every week on other stuff for her!)...we tell people that she is a Shepherd/Pyrenees because that is what the shelter told us, but we really have no way of knowing, and I would like to find out...

The only really certain thing is that there is GSD in her - she looks almost totally like a GSD puppy, just fluffier with a shorter face...and bigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts