Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two puppies before, my first was a surprise present for my 16th birthday, a wonderful mutt (possibly lab shepherd mix).

Our second, was a just a couple who bred their Golden Retrievers (yes, now I realize they were backyard breeders and while not the best scenario, they were well taken care of).

Now we are getting a Boston Terrier puppy in the next 7-8 weeks(they are only one week old) from a great breeder. We feel very confident with our choice. However, they are at the opposite end of our state and we will not be able to get down there before the pups are ready.

They are making a trip up here, to stay with family with some of their puppies who are being picked up by people from the next state over.

So, finally my question: should we let the breeder pick the pup for us?

We know we want a female, and we have told her all about our family, living situations, and what we are looking for in a new family member, so should we let her choose for us? Or should we try to drive down and pick for ourselves?

The puppies are raised in her home, she is very involved/active with them and would know their personalities best.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Let the breeder pick for you. They will know more than anyone which dog will do best in what home.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I just got a pup from a good breeder. I trusted her entirely. I drove and picked my tentative favorite, but deferred to the breeder. I ended up with my chosen critter, but would have taken a different pup if the breeder had suggested it.

Bostons are so AWESOME! My next pup (100 years from now!) will be a boston!

Have a BLAST and Good Luck! With a Boston, you will need it! They are so naughty!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I let the rescue pick my dog for me. I told her exactly what I did and did not want and got a picture of my dog in my email. The whole thing made my husband nervous, but she did pick the perfect dog for us.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I've had breeders suggest or encourage me to get particular pups by what I'm looking for. I make the ultimate pick. Except with one breeder they picked which pup they gave me.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My breeder picked Dreizehn out for me and this is the course I'll take for any puppy that I ever get from a breeder. As it's already been stated, they know the puppies better than you ever could. Just let the breeder know exactly what you want in this dog personality-wise and they should be able to pick the perfect one for you.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I told Casper's breeder that I wanted a male, and preferably a black and white (although I would have been fine with a grey and white). She chose for me out of the two black and white boys. :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If my next Saint comes from the breeder I hope he will, I'll absolutely let her pick the puppy she feels is best for my home/family/life. Otherwise the next pup will be a rescue so I'll likely pick him...or rather he'll pick me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is a great question! I am wanting another Tibetan Terrier in a few years and have found a breeder about 400 kilometers away. She, however only breeds for conformation, so I am not sure if she will know what to look for in a performance puppy. I think since it is so close, I will take the drive out when the time comes and we might be able to figure it out together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!

I am feeling much easier about letting someone else pick my pup for me. We do want a female and there are three, and although still tiny all very cute puppies, so I'm not worried about what my dog will look like, but I do want one that matches our family life/personalities the best.

The breeder has already said that the parents are very affectionate easy going dogs, so I'm pretty encouraged.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
For a pet, definitely! Breeders know their puppies' personalities better than anyone else. Though I would understand if someone who was experienced in breeding, showing or working and are looking for a dog to serve one of those purposes and really knows what they're looking for to want to play a much more involved role in choosing their puppy.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
To BTLucy--

Just a question: How did you come to know this breeder? What are you basing your trust on?

For me, I met mine in person at shows. I waited a year for her to have a litter. We talked about a dozen times before the litter was whelped. I visited her home 3 times before getting my pup. We both competed in similar venues, so my breeder was very clear on what I was looking for. By the time I brought my pup home, my breeder and I were friends.

The only reason I am asking is because I wanted to clarify my answer. I trusted my breeder in my situation, but I had a lot of reasons to trust.

How well do you know the person making your choice? If it was an internet connection with no additional relationship, I might feel very differently.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
In addition, I saw live web-cams, video clips, and literally hundreds of photos along the way as well as near-daily updates and postings.

I had tons and tons of reasons for my faith in my breeder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To BTLucy--

Just a question: How did you come to know this breeder? What are you basing your trust on?

For me, I met mine in person at shows. I waited a year for her to have a litter. We talked about a dozen times before the litter was whelped. I visited her home 3 times before getting my pup. We both competed in similar venues, so my breeder was very clear on what I was looking for. By the time I brought my pup home, my breeder and I were friends.

The only reason I am asking is because I wanted to clarify my answer. I trusted my breeder in my situation, but I had a lot of reasons to trust.

How well do you know the person making your choice? If it was an internet connection with no additional relationship, I might feel very differently.
My question wasn't about the breeder or trusting them but more along the lines of should I pick the puppy that "picks me" like a lot of material says or let someone whose raised them and knows them help me find the personality that would work best.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Mia's breeder suggested her to me and I went with her expertise. I had asked about a different, older puppy but she told me she really thought this other puppy would work out for me better. Wrong gender, wrong color, younger than I wanted at the time, but I went with it because I loved her descriptions of 'the little tricolor puppy with good energy'. Haha. It's been wonderful. She's the best dog I could ever have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mia's breeder suggested her to me and I went with her expertise. I had asked about a different, older puppy but she told me she really thought this other puppy would work out for me better. Wrong gender, wrong color, younger than I wanted at the time, but I went with it because I loved her descriptions of 'the little tricolor puppy with good energy'. Haha. It's been wonderful. She's the best dog I could ever have.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
952 Posts
yes, We did that 3yrs ago and it worked out well for us. And we are going to see same breeder tomorrow to look at the current litter, I'd trust her opinion stilll. I'm going to visit but not pick one out. The breeder knows her dogs the best and will pick the best temperament to work with our family. FWIW my breeder will also take a dog back at any time, if it didn't work out in my family. She wants what is best for her dogs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The breeder we chose to get SiSi from made it perfectly clear that she assigns puppies to people. We told her that all things equal, we would prefer a black female, and that's what we got! If she had chosen a white male for us I would have accepted that though. The breed knows the pups better than us so if we want to have the best shot at a puppy that fits us, it really makes sense to differ to them. At least that's my take on it :p When I eventually get a shelter dog I want to make my own decision though.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts