Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 9-month old Beagle to the dog park today. Upon entering, I was weary of two Huskies playing/attacking another dog to the point where the owner of the dog on the bottom had to separate them. There was no sign of the owner of the Huskies. A little while later, I see these two Huskies chasing my dog. They corner him and tackle him to the ground so he is laying on his back. One was biting his neck, the other was biting his ear. There was growling and teeth showing. My dog was not having fun. I quickly got in there and picked up my dog and started yelling. Again, no sign of these Huskies' owners. I put my dog on a leash and go to the other side of the dog park. 30 minutes later, a lady comes up to me who saw the whole thing and tells me the reason I didn't see the Huskies' owners is because they weren't there! They dropped the dogs off at the dog park and left! When they came to pick them up, that lady confronted them about their dogs attacking two dogs, but then another couple came over and said I had overreacted about the whole thing. 'He doesn't know that's how dogs play,' they said. Seriously, is it an overreaction for me to get my 25-pound dog out that situation when two 80-pound Huskies are on top of him and their teeth are showing and they are biting him? Maybe that's how those dogs play, but I'm not going to risk it. What do you all think?

·
Registered
329 Posts
You didn't overreact, you underreacted. You should have left the second you felt weary. Better to be safe than sorry.
definitely the above and I should add that dogs should NOT be unsupervised at a dog park,so automatically they were in the wrong by not being there.It says dog park not doggie daycare.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
You didn't overreact, you underreacted. You should have left the second you felt weary. Better to be safe than sorry.
EXACTLY! If you had suspicion that the Huskies were not under control you should NEVER had taken your dogs in the park. I wouldn't risk it with my dogs and they are much bigger in comparison. Dog fights are ugly and in parks where normally non aggressive dogs come in contact with an overly aggressive/assertive dog, pack mentality can take effect. In other words, it might be more then one dog that would attack your dog. In the future unless you can see the owners with their dogs and the dogs are playing in a normal manner, I would pass on the dog park. just my opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this particular dog park, I see alot of people not paying attention to their dogs - they are on their cell phones, talking to their neighbors or reading a book. It also irritates me when one person brings in five dogs - there's no way he or she can keep track of all of them in such a large park!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
At this particular dog park, I see alot of people not paying attention to their dogs - they are on their cell phones, talking to their neighbors or reading a book. It also irritates me when one person brings in five dogs - there's no way he or she can keep track of all of them in such a large park!
Well, it is your choice to bring your dog into that mess or not. For me, I wouldn't risk it. Your dogs well being is at stake. You could also try different times of the day, if that is possible. That might make the difference.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
It is possible. I have been to the dogpark by myself with 4 dogs (3 is ours, 1 is my BIL's) and we had a great time. I have my eyes on all 4, 99% of the time (the 1% is when I need to drop off their "poop" to the garbage can). The 4 stays close to each other and they keep looking to where I am standing, making sure I haven't left them. :D I have yet to have a problem bringing my dogs to the dogpark, and I hope I never will. However, if it was I who was in your situation, I wouldn't risk any of my dogs and will choose to leave.

Like Curb said, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You underreacted actually..

I'd have the owners banned.

(Btw.. just so you know.. Huskies won't reach up to 80lbs, only in extreame cases, you probably saw malamutes)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
This is why I don't bring my dogs to dog parks. Too many idiots. It's possible that the Huskies were playing but even play can go terribly wrong between such differently sized dogs. Whatever the case, the minute I realised there were dogs in the park that didn't know how to play nice, I would have headed out of there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From the description, they were just playing. However, if your dog had panicked and fought back, it could have quickly turned ugly.

The owner of those huskies has no right to leave them there unsupervised and should be banned from the park.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would guess it was playing as well.

Be careful about picking up a dog in a situation like that. In my experience, that elevates the situation more often than it diffuses it.

And I definitely would not have stuck around that dog park. In fact, if I had seen a situation with dogs that you described as you walked in, I never would have walked in there in the first place.

In general, I'm not a big fan of dog parks. I've seen/heard/witnessed too many bad situations. Sure, I've seen a lot of good things, too, but it's not worth the risk in my mind. I have playtime with some of my friends/neighbors' dogs instead. We all know how are dogs communicate, and we all trust each other. We never have had a problem, and if we did, I'm pretty confident we'd trust each other equally in how to handle it.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

Then STAY AWAY from that dog park!!!! There have to be better places, or you can find a play group that meets at an individuals house, they're much safer and more controlled situations. Go to Meetup.com and search on dog play groups in your area. I've done this and it's GREAT meeting up with the same people once a week or so.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
They very well may have been playing, but if you were uncomfortable with it then you didn't overreact. And there is NO excuse WHATSOEVER to drop your dogs off at the dog park and leave so I agree, those people should be banned. Not that it would keep them out, it's not like they follow the rules now!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Dog parks are not all they are cracked up to be. A lot of ppl don't follow the rules. I wouldn't go to that park & Id also go to the local council & complain. They should be prosecuted for leaving their dogs at the park.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sometimes, I wish that we had a dogpark around here... it'd be a heck of a lot easier to exercise my dogs knowing that they couldn't run off. But on the other hand, your situation is exactly why I'd be scared to bring my dogs to a park.

The owners of the huskies were definitely in the wrong. Like one poster said, it's not a doggie day care. You cannot leave your dog unattended, and if I was you I would have reported them right away for such negligence. But, like several others said, I think your reaction was an under-reaction. I almost lost a dog to a dog fight... and that was in my own back yard, and there had been no notice that the other dog was acting aggressively. Those huskies could've, at any time, actually turned confrontational. And they were pushing their limits anyway...

So if I was you, I'd report and then probably never go back.

·
Registered
411 Posts
In our town's park there are a few people who are very diligent about monitoring the park. Boy if that person had done that there, then there would have been 1/2 dozen people on cell phones calling the bylaw officers and the cops and having the owner charged with abandoning their dogs!!

One guy who I've known since Bayley was a pup is a poop nazi!! He's a big guy so no one challenges him but if you're not watching your dog and it's pooping then you'll hear it all over Black lab taking a dump by the fence!!! He's also great if you can't find your dog's poop, it's like he has poop radar!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't think you over reacted at all! And then to find out the owners weren't even there! What the heck is wrong with people?

Thank God we have a fenced in back yard.

·
Registered
707 Posts
This is why we do not go to the dog park. Too many things can happen that you may or may not have any control over. Making playdates with dogs you know allows you to control the situation, as well as avoid illness, injury, or emotional trauma to your dog. There are just too many idiots out there to trust that my dog will be OK in an uncontrolled environment, and that is exactly what a dog park is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts