Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past week has been really eventful for Wicket and I. 2 hour long walks in the morning, running around in the park, meeting toooons of new dogs and people, visiting family, running off-leash in fields and off-leash dog trail, training, playing with old friends. Wicket even has a new boyfriend now, lol, we met a lady and a shih tzu/pekingnese/pom cross male and they got to play for an hour. Lately, I’ve noticed Wicket seems really really tired, she wants to nap all day, and I have to drag her out for a walk in the morning. When she plays, she plays for 10 min then plunks down tired. She just seems unenthusiastic about everything when normally she would be still bouncing with energy. She still enjoys chewing her bone, and will occasionally bring the ball, but not as much as before this really tiring week.

Also we’ve been playing this new rough house game; I call it “Smack down” LOL. Trying to reinforce “Off” when she is super excited, and it’s been going really well. She’s a mouthy dog and gets mouthier the more excited she is. She also loves to mouth and play bite when rough housing. So I’ve been playfully smacking her around and shoving her away from me and letting her go at my hands. The moment I say “Off” she releases and backs away and stays back until I give her the cue to resume play. She LOVES this new game, and gets really tired from it even though we don’t play for very long. I’m not sure if it’s draining her mental energy, but certainly her physical.

Is it normal for a dog to be exhausted the days following a very eventful day(s)? Am I doing do much with her and should I give her a few lazy days to recuperate? Or should I keep doing what I’m doing and her being super tired is just a sign of a content dog? Are there any negative consequences from being so tired all the time? Wicket is not throwing up, panting a lot, foaming or anything that would indicate illness, only that she’s just so darn tired. When she was a bit younger, she would of been able to handle this much stimulation. I know she isn’t a puppy anymore, but she just turned a year half a month ago, but I would think her energy would die down gradually. Is there really this special switch that just turns off the energy when they hit a certain age? o_O

Thank you in advance for any suggestion and advice :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Blu Boy and Leeo came to us at 12 weeks old ... total opposites .... Blu Boy being very quiet and reserved. His energy level has always been next to nil. Yet he is per vet a healthy dog. He still is like he is pooed out all the time.

I find that if I do too much with him ... he is done for the day. He will play frisky and run and jump with Abbylynn and Eddee for about 10 minutes ... and that is all he wants to do. Now mind you he is almost 6 years old ... but has always been this way.

I believe it depends on the individual dog. But I did take him to the vet to be sure his actions were not related to health issues. :) Being Wicket is so young ... maybe a vet check is in order?

Also ... IMO ... something to take into consideration is all the heat we have been experiencing this week. I know it has been 95 degrees and above at my house all week. The dogs have seemed really laid back this week for me ... napping more than usual. This is very unlike Eddee the live wire! Lol! :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Just like an athlete needs to recover after a marathon session, so does a dog.

A few years ago, I ran my dog in a dog park, letting him play for 4 hours rather than the normal 1 hour. The next day all he wanted to do was sleep. But he was fine in a day or two.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Different strokes for different folks comes to mind. I have a dog that lives for agility and at 12 years old still loves competing but her grand daughter will do one round and then say "nah, Thats enough". However, bring out the frisbee and granddaughter will catch all day.

You need to find what turns her on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts