Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read everywhere online what a miracle cure this is for fleas. I powdered my dog and his bed with it yesterday and he is still scratching a lot. I know I might need to give it more time, but now his fur has this powder all over it and it gets on my hands whenever I pet him. When can I wash it off?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
DE is not a miracle cure for fleas. It's one component of an attack on fleas. Your dog needs a flea killer like Frontline, too. The DE is for the bed, carpets and yard. Make sure to use food grade and not pool grade.

So, go ahead and bathe your dog. Then get some Frontline on him. Wash all his bedding, rugs and every cloth item in your house that you can wash. Get a flea collar and put it in your vacuum cleaner bag and vacuum thoroughly. Then sprinkle DE on your carpet and unwashable beds. Vacuum again the next day and sprinkle DE again, including the dog's bed.

If the fleas are in your yard, you may have to have the yard treated by your local pest control company.

Fleas are hard to get rid of, especially if they have multiplied.

DE is an extreme drying agent. It's safe to use around dogs and even sprinkle a little on them, but covering them with it is going to dry their skin to an extreme degree and probably cause itching... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot for the help. I guess everyone has their own experiences because some posts I have read said not to bother with Frontline because giving a little DE in their food is more effective.
You make a good point about it drying his skin (it sure did a number on mine). I will defin. wash it off him when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You could probably get rid of the fleas with several weeks' diligent work on all the cloth, hair and yard, but it would take a lot longer and a lot more work. Diligence is the key. And I don't have the patience to do that or to deal with the dryness that results. Plus, the fleas LOVE me and I can't stand the little buggers. :)

Using DE to get rid of fleas

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
when we had fleas i used DE in my carpet and couch crevices and anywhere that i couldn't wash. i washed everything that was able to be put in the washing machine and i also treated my cats and ferrets with advantage and my dog with capstar for 3 days in a row since he is already on sentinel. the cats and ferrets were treated for 2 months and the dog just continued with his sentinel. i believe that the DE really helped to make sure any eggs didn't hatch around the house, and if they did they died anyway. we (knock on wood!) have not seen a flea since the first ones. maybe we were lucky since i only found 5 fleas - 3 on one cat, 1 on a ferret, and one on ME :eek: and no flea dirt so i think that we caught it really early.

i think that it is important to put the DE in all the crevices that you can't wash in the washing machine, like in your couch and in all the corners and along the baseboards. this is where flea eggs will be. it really helped us. i also vacuumed my pillows and mattress.

good luck! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't use chemicals in my home because of my bc who is seizure prone.
here's what we do:

pennyroyal oil: 1 drop per 3lbs body weight of dog. used like a spot on treatment.
Diatomaceous Earth mix 50/50 with play sand, put in a lawn spreader and treat your yard. pool grade works fine in my house.
Boric Acid found in the laundry section. Sprinkle like carpet powder on all surfaces. Brush in with a short bristled brush. Let sit 24 hours and then vacuum thoroughly

None of my animals have had a flea on them in YEARS because of my ititial treatment, and then we follow up with pennyroyal oil monthly.
I live in the country with woods, underbrush and bugs

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
pennyroyal oil: 1 drop per 3lbs body weight of dog. used like a spot on treatment.
Pennyroyal oil is toxic to dogs except in VERY small doses. The leaves are much safer.

As a flea deterrent. Dried pennyroyal leaves can be scattered around pets' bedding area, and you can roll up some fresh stems in you dog's bandana before you go tromping through the woods. Pennyroyal oil used in flea collars has largely been phased out because it caused miscarriages in cats, so only use the fresh leafy stuff, please. If a pet or person could be expecting, don't use pennyroyal at all.
Source

pool grade works fine in my house.
Yes, it works. But it has been chemically treated and can cause respiratory problems.

Borax is great. I use it in my laundry and for fleas. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wait a sec you guys, clear me up on this one. How is giving DE in the food supposed to help? DE are minute sharp particles that when sprinkled on carpets, are supposed to pierce the exoskeleton of the flea and cause it to die of dehydration...so how does ingesting it work? This is one reason why you aren't supposed to breath it in....I've looked at DE under a microscope and can see how it would work in the former way mentioned.

Treating the surrounding soil with beneficial nematodes can take care of the flea larvae helping somewhat.

Daily vaccuuming and grooming (outside) helps a bit too.

Depending on the physiology of the dog, small amounts of garlic might help too.

You can do many things to help a little, but in the end those small bits of help add up and you may seriously alleviate the flea problem.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
NEVER EVER USE ESSENTIAL OILS (pennyroyal, tea tree, lavender ect) IN FULL STRENGTH ON ANY ANIMAL!!! It can cause neurological damage INCLUDING seizures and death.

My battle plan for fleas:

Shampoo with dawn dish soap (kills fleas as well as anything else I've used)

IF that doesn't take care of them, then make a 'dip' out of 2T Neem oil per gallon of water and spnge on and LEAVE on.

Nematodes in the yard

Borax in all non washable cloth in the house (rugs, furnature dog beds) wash everything else in HOT water with borax and your favorite detergent.

Vaccum the dead fleas, eggs and larvae out of the carpet after about 12 hours (the borax will kill everything)

·
Registered
296 Posts
ingesting DE is an old farmer's tale for eliminating internal parasites. Doesnt work and it's dangerous. Most of the time I find myself talking about the dangers of ingesting DE on a horse board, i've actually never heard of anyone trying to feed it to a dog.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i never suggested feeding it your dog. i said to put it in the cracks and crevices in your house that can't be put in the washing machine. i would not ever feed anything like that to my dog!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Maybe I got mixed up along the way, but I always thought DE was a carcinogen? No proof to back that up, but I swear I heard that before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FOOD GRADE DE is safe. POOL DE is very dangerous. A good article on the uses and safety of food grade DE is at
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

I have used it with great success for internal parasites and for fleas. DO NOT USE POOL FILTER STUFF!

Another great Q & A about food grade DE is at
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-FAQ.php

I would rather use food grade DE and find it less dangerous than chemical treatments. I have used a combination of food grade DE, dogosuds shampoo (peppermint and tea tree for fleas) and internal flea treatments like capstar and program and these three things work wonderfully to keep the critters away!

·
Registered
494 Posts
i never suggested feeding it your dog. i said to put it in the cracks and crevices in your house that can't be put in the washing machine. i would not ever feed anything like that to my dog!
I don't believe you said that, I asked because the OP said "giving a little DE in their food is more effective." and thats when the red light went off.lol.

Maybe I got mixed up along the way, but I always thought DE was a carcinogen? No proof to back that up, but I swear I heard that before.
I find that hard to believe, DE is simply cultivated diatoms (marine plankton) crushed into smaller pieces making them really sharp...the only thing I could think of that would make it a carcinogen would be any chemicals they add in them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I find that hard to believe, DE is simply cultivated diatoms (marine plankton) crushed into smaller pieces making them really sharp...the only thing I could think of that would make it a carcinogen would be any chemicals they add in them.
Like I said, I have no proof, I just swear I heard it before, and I think it was from my lifeguard days, as DE is used in pool filters. I figure it is probably like miners who breathe in coal dust and get cancer, not specifically the DE itself that is a carcinogen.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth can be fed, and has been successfully used as a de-wormer. It is safe enough even for human consumption. Food Grade is crushed much finer than pool grade. I would not give my dog something without consulting my vet.

It will not treat fleas through feeding, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in FL where it is bug central 365 days a year. I will not use chemical pesticides on my pet (or me) or in my home or yard. Successful pest management is possible, but it is time consuming & requires some elbow grease.
I treat my yard with products from companies like GreenLight, Safer, Cedarcide & St Gabriel's Organics. I pick up after my dog & keep the lawn trimmed.
I bathe Muggsy Phydeaux with an herbal shampoo & conditioner. I brush him & spritz him with Ark Naturals Neem protect spray before our walks. I flea comb him EVERY time we return (I check his ears & between his toes). His beds are filled with cedar chips & the covers I wash in hot water & soap weekly. I feed him organic food.
From everything I've read, I believe garlic & pennyroyal are toxic to pets.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/english-pennyroyal.html

As for my house, I don't use anything in my house because I don't have to. Gosh I hope I didn't just curse myself putting that out there !!! ;)
I vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.
In between selling one house & buying another, we stayed in a vacation home of a friend & there was a flea problem there. UGH! I used DE on the carpeting, couch & nooks & crannies & it worked. OnlyNaturalPet.com has a DE with herbs. It was messy though & I left it on for a few days which was really annoying. Again, from what I've read, you should never use pool grade DE, only food grade.
I googled 'non-toxic pest control or IPM' to do my research. It has taken a few years & a lot of trial & error with different products, but it can be done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts