Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm SO glad I can finally ask you all this.

Back on Zim's thread about flea control someone mentioned DE as a way to kill the fleas (I think it was Infiniti). Well I went to buy some because we're having a major flea infestation here and on the bag it said "Harmful to pets and humans". If its harmful then wouldn't I not want to sprinkle it around where Bella and the cats lay, etc?

Also I read something about borax but I thought that was dangerous for animals too?

We need to do something soon. I'm vacuuming daily and I'm trying to convince my Dad to pay for Program (lufeneron) shots for all the cats and get Bella on Program or Comfortis. Since I have LOTS of fish in the house right now and not really anyplace I can move them I need something that is not airborne to kill fleas. If all the fish weren't here we would have bombed the house weeks ago.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Is it safe for humans and pets?

Yes, skin contact is no problem at all. It feels like talcum powder. The only caution is that you don’t want to breathe the dust while applying it to the garden or house area.

Wearing of dust masks while applying diatomaceous earth is a recommended safe gardening practice.

You might read reports that diatomaceous earth causes silicosis. Pesticide quality material is usually over 97 per cent amorphous silica. Silicosis is caused by crystalline silica (like pool grade D) and the diatomaceos earth or amorphous silical hasn't been associated with silicosis. So while I recommend you wear a dust mask, I’d recommend you wear the same protection while in any dusty environment – from cleaning out the attic to spreading peat moss.

Read more: http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/diatomaceous-earth.html#ixzz0sYSeIbAf

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.

As far as breathing it in since I was hoping to sprinkle it on pet beds, couches, carpet (where the cat and kittens would be laying) wouldn't that be bad or would it settle after sprinkling?

I wouldn't want Bella to flop down on her dog bed and have a cloud of dust come up and hit her in the face.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I believe that you can get "food grade" DE and that is fine for pets. I think that you can even feed it to them but it is not something that I really looked closely into. I would really research it before I did anything like that.

I put the DE on all the beds that I couldn't put in the washing machine and on the couches and chairs and stuff. Also in the corners and where the walls meet the floors. I only treated the cats and ferrets for 3 months (with revolution) and the fleas were all gone! Iorek was already on sentinel. But, there were only a few fleas to start with, there wasn't a big infestation.

Good luck getting rid of those darn pests!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I believe that you can get "food grade" DE and that is fine for pets. I think that you can even feed it to them but it is not something that I really looked closely into. I would really research it before I did anything like that.

I put the DE on all the beds that I couldn't put in the washing machine and on the couches and chairs and stuff. Also in the corners and where the walls meet the floors. I only treated the cats and ferrets for 3 months (with revolution) and the fleas were all gone! Iorek was already on sentinel. But, there were only a few fleas to start with, there wasn't a big infestation.

Good luck getting rid of those darn pests!
Yep, you can feed them food grade de. A person on another one of my forums uses DE as a natural wormer.

I had looked into using it at one point, but Miss Babbits has already had respiratory problems in the past and I didn't feel comfortable putting a powder down in fear it might cause her to have another URI.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Pits, I know when I was looking for it the only place I could find it was online. At least the food grade stuff anyways, because that's what I'd heard most recommended for use around pets. That might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If your mom is afraid of ordering stuff offline you could get a Wal-Mart money card (I think that's what they call them). Anyways, you buy the card and then you can put money on it (by giving them however much you want on it at the register) and use it for online shopping. It works just like any credit card for online shopping, with the benefit of no bill. ;)

That's what I use for online shopping anyways. That way if someone were to get a hold of the info it's not like they can get to my bank account.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea! (Now she just has to get over her aversion to going to walmart LOL). I found the food grade DE online for $36 (including shipping) for 5lbs.. does this seem like a good price?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I don't know honestly, I've never used it for myself. But I'm guessing five pounds would last a looong time.

(John hates wal-mart too!)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope so. Most of our house is carpeted but I still don't think it would take that much to sprinkle the carpet. I wish Bissell made a carpet shampoo that would kill fleas.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I thought that water kills fleas? Will a steam cleaner kill them? I never thought about that before. We don't have carpet so I didn't need to do any research about that.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fleas will drown in soapy water but I don't think the carpet cleaner will kill them. I've heard if you put a bowl of soapy water under a light at night fleas will jump in and drown.. the problem with that is my crazy cat will drink the water :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
At a local feed store they sell a 40 pound bag for 29.99 that's food grade. Haven't used it yet, but going to pick it up

Seems online it's pretty expensive due to shipping, but a lot of large feed stores carry it when I was calling around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts