Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday, I made the mistake of feeding Breyer (6month GSD) roast beef. Since then he's had bad diarrhea. Yesturday I started feeding just rice and raw chicken backs and eliminated his kibble. Today he had a bit of diarrhe in the morning, followed by drips of "cloudy-water" liquid. He tried to poop a couple of other times this morning but each time all he could squeeze out is a few more drops of the liquid.

Should I continue with the rice/chicken, or is there something else that I should feed him to help clear this up?

Should I take him to the vet? I'm 99% sure it's just from the roast beef.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Here's what I would do. Give his digestive system a break. Don't give him anything but water for a 18-24 hour period. (** see note below)

Then start by giving him a mixture of cooked BONELESS chicken chunks (I use chicken breast) and rice - every hour or so. 2 Tablespoons the first hour. An hour later, 2 more, an hour later 3 more, and an hour later, 4. Then wait a couple hours and give him 4-5 Tbsp and so on, so throughout the day, you're increasing the amount of food and time between feeding. Do this for one day. Then start mixing his kibble in with the chicken and rice mixture. During the day, feed him about 4 times, increasing the kibble and decreasing the chicken and rice so that by the end of the day, it's almost all kibble. The next day, start back on his kibble.

**If, after the fasting period, he still has diarrhea, take him to the vet.

Some GSDs are sensitive to allergies. Does his regular kibble have beef? Does he show any signs of allergies? Scratching or licking/biting his feet? Sneezing or slobbering?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My vet recommends a mix of mashed potatos and yoghurt. He says give half the normal amount of dry food you'd give. Try that for a few days.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
pumpkin.....whenever my kids are either constipated or get diarrhea, i feed them pumpkin...i also use it when i have a dog that i'm trying to cut back the food intake and need a midday snack to get them thru till the next meal...and, like mentioned, if it doesn't clear up w/in about 24 hrs (and doesn't seem to be any better) a vet check would be in order....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Today he had a bit of diarrhe in the morning, followed by drips of "cloudy-water" liquid. He tried to poop a couple of other times this morning but each time all he could squeeze out is a few more drops of the liquid.
My dog has also had a bit of diarrhea this week due to drinking some standing water while doing some field work. I took her off the kibble and started feeding her rice, steamed chicken, and pumpkin. She was back to pooping firmly within 12 hours of the food switch.

However, the fact that your dog is eating but not able to poop is a concern IMO, and makes me think that he could have a blockage. If this were my dog, I would be on the phone with the vet just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts