Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got a four month Siberian husky, his previous owners had him on benifull, but i wanted him to have better food than that. so i started him on blue buffalo wilderness puppy formula. i give him 3 cups and 3 quarters a day. the recommended is 3-4.25 cups.. i feed him 3 times a day, 8am, noon, and 6pm. he's had bad diarrhea for the past fer days. help please??

·
Registered
801 Posts
Did you slowly transition the pup? If you switch too fast it can cause diarrhea. Normally you should start out feeding 75% old food/25% new food for a week then go 50/50 then feed 25% old food/75% new food until the old food is gone.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would guess transition period was a little too short for his tummy, so you would have problems there....and possibly also you may be feeding too much! I know the bags generally suggest FAR over what dogs need!;)

But if it where me I would want him to have a fecal done just to be sure!;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
How much does your dog weigh?

Very rich food as compared to the Benifull. Could also be meals too close together and perhaps a little too much food as the mfg feeding charts are almost always a little heavy. Keep and open mind and remember it takes an average of 6 hours for a dog to digest. Try one and a quarter cups twice daily, the first at 8:00am and the second at 4:00pm and see if things get better. I know you want the best for your dog , just give this a try.

abi88 makes a very good point with need for a fecal as my pups at that young age needed worm meds more than once.

·
Registered
801 Posts
....and possibly also you may be feeding too much! I know the bags generally suggest FAR over what dogs need!;)
That's true as well. On the bag of wilderness it says I should feed my pup 3/4 cup of food even though I was feeding 1/2 cup on the grain-inclusive formula. 3/4 was way too much so I cut back down to 1/2 cup and she does better with the lower amount.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The transition may have been too short, but I think your main problem is feeding too much. With the higher quality foods you have to feed less....I'm learning that with TOTW...I switched to it from Blue Buffalo and I tried feeding the same amount but ended up with mounds and mounds of very soft poo. :D SO, now we are feeding about 30% less or so. And everybody's weight is staying the same, so I think we are good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he weighs about 30 lbs. right now but im going to try feeding him a little less along with a little bit of rice to try to firm up his stool if it continues i will take him to the vet and have a fecal done but thank all of you for your help =) i appreciate it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
he weighs about 30 lbs. right now but im going to try feeding him a little less along with a little bit of rice to try to firm up his stool if it continues i will take him to the vet and have a fecal done but thank all of you for your help =) i appreciate it.
If I where you I would skip the rice, it is not species appropriate and will be FAR easier for you to know whats going on if he is on a limited amount of intake! NO rice, No treats(use a few kibble for that,) etc.

Also, if he has already been to a vet most, I know both mine will, allow you to just schedule for the fecal to be run without having to see him!:) (So you just take a baggie of poop in, they test it and call you with results!LOL)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i wish it were that simple in real life you need some tests done you just take a baggie of poop in lol. It would make everything easier =) but anyways only reason i thought of the rice is because my bf had an Akita and she had really bad squirts from switching so they gave her a little bit of rice with her food he said it stopped pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Huskies have super sensitives tummies. I can't feed blue buffalo to mine because it started a bunch of problems with her. The transitioning might have something to do with it though but might have to try another brand. Your vet might give you a probiotic for it also. Also remember huskies dont always eat a lot. And feeding three cups might be way too much. I feed mine twice a day and she is only interested in eating about two cups and is a very healthy 35-40 pound six month old puppy.

·
Registered
395 Posts
thanks i wish it were that simple in real life you need some tests done you just take a baggie of poop in lol. It would make everything easier =) but anyways only reason i thought of the rice is because my bf had an Akita and she had really bad squirts from switching so they gave her a little bit of rice with her food he said it stopped pretty fast.
Well if the vet already knows her then it might be, so if she has been to a vet I would call and just say "Hey I have the money now, I would like to bring in a stool sample from Ni'cko to have a fecal exam done.":wink:

and ah...well see Im more with the thought that I would rather fix the problem then use a band-aid...but to each their own!:)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Yep! Get a fecal done, get some fortiflora (probiotic) from your vet. That should help. Then you can try and keep him on blue if you want - I just switched all together. Had the same problem with my husky :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yep! Get a fecal done, get some fortiflora (probiotic) from your vet. That should help. Then you can try and keep him on blue if you want - I just switched all together. Had the same problem with my husky :)

TOTALLY agree!! Some brands just dont sit well on different dog's tummies!! NOTHING sat well on my Baby Rhett's stomach...thats why we made the switch to raw!:wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i honestly think it is because we did the transition in three days.. should i get some beniful and re-do the transition or what? cause i'm worried he'll get dehydrated from going number 2 so often

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Fecal and also talk to your vet about coccidia and giardia, which are protozoal parasites and don't show up in a routine fecal. They are fairly common causes of diarrhea in puppies.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Three days is really too short to do a transition. How long has he had the diarrhea? Even with a short transition the diarrhea should clear up after a few days (I may be wrong about this).

Bella had diarrhea for two full months when i did a week long transition from he breeders puppy fod she was eating to blue that i wanted to feed her. You could buy a small bag of beneful and blue and mix them to see if it works better for him over a longer transition period though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts