Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shiba-inu puppy, who is about 4 months old, has had diarreah with a little blood for over two weeks.

At first we took her to the vet who put her on bland food and some anti-diarrheal. She got better for as long as she was on the meds and food then it went back to before. About once or twice a day she has formed fecal matter but she has to go about 6-8 times a day.

The vet thinks she ate something that is upsetting her stomach but we've watched her very closely and she definitely hasn't eaten anything bad in the last week or so but it continues to be bad.

We would like to try to solve this without going to the vet since she doesn't act lethargic at all. We've also spent a fortune on her since we got her on different trips to the vet.

Do you have any suggestions at all of things we could do to treat this? She's on HALO puppy food right now so it's very healthy. I'm desperate and really hoping to make this sweet little puppy feel better.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
i am not a vet but it could ber a lot of things the food might be to rich for her it could be gardia may be get a second opinion
jamie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm thanks for the thought. I'm thinking that I'm going to have her skip one meal then put her on a bland diet and see how she does.

If this fixes it I guess we'll start feeding her a more bland puppy food and maybe just canned instead of kibble.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I agree with the fecal sample. You do not have to take your puppy in normally just call and ask to drop it off at your vet's office. What meds were you given? Metronitazole? Panacur? Did you change foods recently?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already brought two fecal samples in and she spent a day at the vets office when this all began. She was, for a while, on some antidiarrheal which seemed to help while she was on it but not any longer.

We've already spent a fortune on vet bills for this dog and she's only 4 months so I'm really trying to avoid that for now, she acts fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
How long was she on the meds?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The vet I work for usually puts them on meds for at least a week if that doesn't help than he does another round of meds. We normally do not see the puppy/dog if the owner calls and tells us that it is helping. Halo is a good dog food however some dogs simply cannot tolerate certain dog food. Try going back to your bland diet.

Bland Diet

Ice cubes or very small amounts of water.

Bland diet mixture:

A. Cooked white rice with boiled hamburger (drain off fat) or boiled chicken breast (no fat).
OR

B. Cooked pasta with boiled hamburger (drain off fat) or boiled chicken breast (no fat).

Feeding directions:

1st day-Give small amounts frequently.

2nd day- (If no vomiting) gradually increase the amount of each portion.

3rd day- keep gradually increasing the amount of each portion.

4th day-(If pet continues to improve) Start mixing small amounts of regular diet with bland mixture.

5th day- Mix larger amounts of regular diet with decreasing amounts of the bland diet.

6th day- (If pet is doing well) Resume normal feedings.

If pet has diarrhea eliminate the cooked white rice or cooked pasta. Feed only boiled hamburger or boiled chicken breast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for all the info!

I don't think I'm going to cook all that stuff for my dog but the vet gave me some bland food when they gave me the meds so I think I'll try that without the meds for about a week and see if it gets better. That way I'll know whether or not to switch her food to something more mild.

Could canned vs hard food make a difference?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Canned food has NO fiber in it. With your problem I'd add some canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix) to the bland diet, about a 1/4 cup or every lb of meat.

HALO is a good food, but as several suggested it may be far too rich for your dog, try gong with as few ingredients as possible... or for what you spending on food, look into a BARF style raw diet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry but there is no way I'm cooking food for my dog, it just isn't going to happen.

I'll keep looking around for different foods.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Cooking hamburger and rice shouldn't be too hard if you want to help your dog. Much cheaper and better for your dog than a vet visit and antibiotics.

Try fasting your dog for a day then start the bland diet as suggested by a previous poster. Or give your dog some Pepto Bismol. I give mine 1/4 teaspoon every 4-6 hours. Only if I'm desperate, which hasn't happened in a while (knock on wood). Add some pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling) to his food. And some plain yogurt to counteract the antibiotics and get his digestive system back on track.

You cook for yourself or your kids if you have them don't you? Just cook some hamburger and rice while you cook for yourself. You don't need to add anything.

If the diarrhea goes away, try a different, less rich food.

If you don't want to do the bland diet or go to the vet, I'm not sure what we can do on a dog forum. I work at an animal hospital and a couple came in with their dog. This dog had had diarrhea all her life but the owners didn't do anything about it. Then suddenly, she's in the hospital, semi-comatose, bleeding from her anus, and then she just passed away. The owners didn't have a clue why... they came up with bloat or other conditions which we would have noticed right away (a huge stomach would be a big clue). Hmmm, I don't know, maybe the diarrhea prevented her body from absorbing any nutrients and maybe she was chronically dehydrated? So now their other dog is dealing with similar issues. AFter thousands of dollars spent....this is in the span of two months...it's not looking too good for their other dog either.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Sorry but there is no way I'm cooking food for my dog, it just isn't going to happen.

I'll keep looking around for different foods.

Thanks!
You need to get the dog's condition under control and give the stomach a chance to heal and that can only happen with a bland diet as described -- that means boiled rice and hamburger or chicken. And it usually means continued medication under a vet's care. There are prescription foods you can get from the vet but my dog wouldn't touch them. Trying different foods from the store will probably only aggravate the situation more.

If it was my dog I would take it back to the vet with at least 2 stool samples. Have them check both for parasites (e.g. giardia can be difficult to detect so taking two samples will help increase the odds of spotting it). The vet will probably put the dog on another round of meds. Our dog usually is put on metronidazole + antibiotics + a bland diet for 10 days when she has a bout of this. We also mix a little metamucil into her food for the first few days to give her some fiber. She once had to go through three rounds of this with panacur thrown in to get rid of the bloody poop.

Bottom line - something like this is hard to diagnose since there are so many different possible causes. But the symptoms are easy to treat as described and usually resolve with the combination of the right diet + meds.

Good luck with your pup. Having been through this so many times with mine, I know how frustrating it is to deal with. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry your dog is sick. I'm not sure why you refuse to cook for him, as you can make these meals several days in advance and keep them in the fridge, and then serve at room temperature. No one is saying cook a gourmet meal for him every day; it's also not expensive to do rice and ground beef provided you buy no name and on sale.

Here's the thing: you say you've spent a lot on vet bills already. A puppy who starts getting in a long-term systemic diarrhea can end up in a never-ending circle where it just doesn't get better for reasons no one can seem to figure out. That ends up costing you way more money when you have to have them hospitalized for rehydration, as diarrhea is a seriously dehydrating condition.

One of my puppies was shipped to me with giardia and coccidia. He had similar symptoms to your puppy's, but was treated with two different medications for two weeks. I'm wondering if you should have another fecal test done? Seriously, it's not something to mess with in puppies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts