Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
My friend has fed it for a long time, about 15yrs I think, Diamond High Energy. They've had good experiences and I can't say there was any bad experience when I've had their dogs here for months. Oh also they used Naturals Extreme Athlete as of late and liked the results.

I've fed it a bit no bad experience really, but after recalls and things I'm very concerned. Thats concerned with any products made by Diamond or in a Diamond factory. Although the Meta plant apparently wasn't affected and my friend continued to feed hers food from the Meta plant during the recalls with no issues. I just think the price is good for what you get. (Except for my fears it will kill my dog, my uncle/aunts dogs died from it) Example being that Eagle Pack Holistic is very similar ingredient list but cost $10 for 7lbs less then Diamond Naturals. That is here anyway.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can honestly say that I have fed Diamond products....Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, for one. I also will feed TOTW again. Diamond makes some foods that alot of people like, for instance, Chicken Soup, Taste of the Wild and even their Diamond Naturals are becoming more popular. Still better than SD or Beneful, Iams, etc....

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
We feed Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice. It's perfectly good food and reasonably priced. There's no corn in the Naturals line, which is an issue for some folks. As for their other (non-Naturals) varieties...I'd probably not choose to feed any of the others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok for those of you stating that Diamond Foods was recalled you are correct. After all of the pet food recalls lately with China and Diamond, I completely understand the concern. There are several foods that Diamond handles that I do NOT reccomend but there are a few I do and that I actually sell in my store. I am a manager for an all natural dog and cat food store and run into these issues daily. in my opinion the Canidae line (which is what my dog is currently on) is one of the top foods to come by. We also sell the chicken soup for the dog lovers soul but it is not one of my favorite. The food is great and high in nutrition but I like being able to have the option of giving my dog a variety.
Before going with any food you should do your research. Canidae is currently a 5 star rated food and you can look at detailed information on it at dogfoodanalysis.com
I currently feed the "Beef and Ocean Fish meal" and my girl LOVES it. Research your food and make sure you know all of the ups and downs to it. There are several complaints about Canidae over the internet. What had happened was they changed their formula and there was not enough notification passed around to local shops therefor many dogs became sick for a short time.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I feed the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete...haven't had a single issue with it, my dogs like it, and they are doing well on it...so no complaints from me.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have fed TOTW and I loved it! It's made by Diamond, my dogs did amazing on it and would still be feeding it to them if it weren't so expensive up here.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feed the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete...haven't had a single issue with it, my dogs like it, and they are doing well on it...so no complaints from me.
That's the one I'm interested in. My sister's bitch still eats kibble, and there's a rumor going around that our brand of kibble won't be made anymore, so I needed a decent back up.

And to renoman, I'm sorry I was snarky. We lost our dog of 15 years, and I have a bitch in season, one coming in, and 4 baby goats that have hit the ground in less then a week, things are hectic around here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been feeding Taste Of The Wild which is a product of Diamond, but was not involved in ANY recalls. Its a great food and I love it, affordable and my dogs all love it. They have a decent variety of 3 different flavors, but only one for cats. But soon their canned food line of TOTW will hit the shelves and I cannot wait. I may not like alot of hte "Diamond" line but alot of their premium line like TOTW/CSFTDLS are very decent foods.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
That's the one I'm interested in. My sister's bitch still eats kibble, and there's a rumor going around that our brand of kibble won't be made anymore, so I needed a decent back up.

And to renoman, I'm sorry I was snarky. We lost our dog of 15 years, and I have a bitch in season, one coming in, and 4 baby goats that have hit the ground in less then a week, things are hectic around here.
Txcollies, I am truly sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have quite a bit on your plate right now.

Thank you for the apology, it is appreciated and accepted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been feeding Diamond Naturals for the past 14 months. I LOVE(D) this food! Ingredient-wise, it's the best food in my area: no corn, soy, wheat, or by-products, and it's quite economical. I started out Jan 2008 feed the Extreme Athlete to all my dogs, from my sr to my pregnant/lactating females. If you are careful with amounts fed, it can be fed to a wide range of dog age/conditions and it's cheaper that way. In Nov 2008, my dogs began experiencing loose stools (sometimes liquid diarrhea). I didn't blame the food right away *did fecal checks, wormed, treated for coccidia, giardia, etc* but eventually thought the high protein was finally getting to their systems. So, I switched the adults to the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice and the puppies to the Large Breed Puppy.....I did end up paying more for food this way (per month, in the long run). It seemed to help at first, but I'm still battling this poop problem today.

I'm currently shopping for a new brand....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Kola is on a Diamond Natural temporarily. I would like to switch to chicken soup or just totally raw while she's gone.

Fang and Shunka are on Diamond Maintenance, and they are doing wonderfully. We tried some higher end Diamond foods on Fang and Shunka and after a month we ended up taking them off and putting them back on Diamond Maintenance between the price and the dogs just wouldn't eat it.

Some of their food isn't the the best, but at least it is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
My dogs eat primarily Chicken Soup kibble, and they thrive on it. My cats eat Chicken Soup for cats. I also feed the dogs Diamond Naturals (chicken and rice, beef and rice, not the lamb and rice; they don't do well on lamb) sometimes, but it gives Penny goopy eyes and a bad coat (although the boys do great on it!). I tried the cats on Diamond Naturals (indoor cat formula), but it made them throw up too much. I've also tried TOTW in the past with good results, but it's a bit pricey when feeding 3 big dogs. I plan to use DN Extreme Athlete next winter, because it's hard for me to keep the weight on my dogs---especially Moose---when it's cold. Too much playing in the snow, I guess.

So I'm satisfied with Diamond foods in general. The recalls were mostly with the formulas containing corn, and the formulas I use don't have corn in them. So I feel reasonably safe feeding them to my pets. I suppose there's a risk with any kibble, and I don't feel that the higher-end Diamond brands are riskier than any other kibble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts