Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Interesting, I wonder what happened.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just got some sample bags of Taste of the Wild from the company. I have been giving Oliver a couple pieces a day as treats and he loves it. Should I stop giving it to him now?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
nfedyk--hard to say. I've googled and googled, trying to find out which brands are made in SC--but can't seem to find it. I would call Diamond and ask where TOTW is made and then make a decision from there.

I believe it is in response to the recall involving salmonella
That is what I'm thinking, too....

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The voluntary recall is separate. This is a suspension of deliveries of ALL products made at a certain facility, not just the Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice with the specific lot numbers listed. It does seem like there is probably a connection but Diamond hasn't posted anything about the suspension of deliveries.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The website clearly states that it is a voluntary recall of Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice formula only and has the lot # listed. While I am not happy about this, at least we see they are paying attention. www.diamondpet.com/information
This is in addition--or in correlation to the recall of the DN L&R

I talked to a Diamond rep:

*They have temporarily halted all deliveries out of SC to do a thorough cleaning and check of ALL products.

*ALL brands they make are manufactured at ALL 3 facilities. So one specific brand is not "safe" at this point.

*They do not believe the salmonella came from the source--but are not sure how it is a potential issue.

*They always screen products before putting it in the food for safety.

*They get the majority of products in the US--but cannot verify which products are outsourced.

I have seen that more information is expected to be released later today. Also, keep in mind, the company is going to tell us what they want to tell us--all the while keeping panic under control and trying to protect their reputation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
nfedyk--hard to say. I've googled and googled, trying to find out which brands are made in SC--but can't seem to find it. I would call Diamond and ask where TOTW is made and then make a decision from there.

That is what I'm thinking, too....
On another forum someone posted that it states on the bag where the food is made. I looked at the sample bags I have and all I see is the address for TOTW which is in Missouri.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Does this include the canned food or just the dry? I use 4health canned food with my dogs dry food.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On another forum someone posted that it states on the bag where the food is made. I looked at the sample bags I have and all I see is the address for TOTW which is in Missouri.
In the code--about 1/2 way to 3/4 way through the code you should see a letter.

X is the SC code.

M is the Missouri code.

Not sure about the 3rd.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well this is much bigger than I thought. I retract my previous statement. Looks like I may be nixing Diamond products from my rotation for a while...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this is much bigger than I thought. I retract my previous statement. Looks like I may be nixing Diamond products from my rotation for a while...
I saw where more information is expected to be released today. Of course...on a Friday--so Diamond isn't bombarded and/or a lot won't see it because it's the weekend. ;)

·
Banned
199 Posts
I feed SG Barking at the Moon, but as I've read thus far online it sounds like the recall is due to the possibility of human handler contact with Salmonella. I toss the bags once opened and transferred to an airtight container, though I keep meaning to not do that because of exactly this kind of incident. I wish there was more information available, I opened a brand new bag less than a week ago and so far haven't seen anything out of the ordinary (human or canine) thank goodness.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The cans of 4 health say they come from Tennessee.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
wow I didnt know they made 4 health to
thanks for the heads up
I just opened up a new 35 pound bag of 4Health. :/ Thanks for the info ... I was not aware Diamond had anything to do with 4Health.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I feed Wellness.
I have a 2012 Whole Dog Journal Guide to dog food that states that Wellness is made at 5 differnt plans ONE of WHICH is Diamond PEt Foods, Gaston. SC. So does anyone know if that is true?????

1 - 20 of 71 Posts