Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw the recall issued for Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice today. I am 1/3 of the way through a 20 lb bag of the Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice.... Should I be concerned?? The recall only lists the adult lamb and rice formula. I don't have the bag to check dates.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-naturals-recall/

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I wouldn't feed it. The recall was on bags with a "best used by" date of January 3rd and 4th, 2013. If you know when you bought the bag, you could maybe go check bags currently on the shelf to see the use by date on those and compare. Like, for example, if bags currently on the shelf expire one year from now, then you could assume bags recalled with a use by date of January 3-4 would be applicable if you bought the bag in January or end of Dec. If that makes sense? Either way, I honestly wouldn't want to risk it since you don't have the bag.

·
Banned
9 Posts
There is also a good chance other brands made by Diamond have a similar recall. This is a sloppy company and I wouldn't use any product made at these facilities with exception of Canidae, fingers crossed though.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Considering the recall is for salmonella. . .wash your hands after feeding your dogs. Kibble frequently is covered in salmonella and it's only when they're forced to test for it that they have to do a recall (it doesn't mean that kibble that hasn't been recalled doesn't have salmonella!). Unless the dogs are immune-compromised it shouldn't bother them.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Salmonella isn't going to hurt your dog, the issue is for you. Like Willowy said, just make sure to wash your hands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts