Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attempted to switch my dog over to another brand of food, it's a little less expensive, but still has a good rating. I switched from Blue Buffalo lamb and brown rice to Exclusive Lamb and brown rice. I didn't have much Blue left so, I was only able to combine that with the new stuff for 1 meal 2 nights ago. Well, yesterday evening I came home to a crate loaded with diahhrea, probably from breakfast. She had very watery diahhrea all night after dinner (I had to let her out at 10pm, 12am, and 3am for some quick diahhrea poos and threw up once. She didnt' go number 2 this morning. I did not feed her the kibble this morning. just some yogurt and chicken livers. I know I didn't do the transition to a new food correctly, that being said.....my questions are:

1.) Should I continue trying the new stuff
2.) Should I just switch back to the old stuff
-Will she get sick from that now?
3.) Do I buy a bag of both and wean her off correctly?

I've found its not worth trying to save a few bucks on dog food by having to take her out 3 time overnight. Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
this happened to me when i switched my dog from iams to california natural. i did the switch gradually, but i think i got a little impatient and did it a little too quickly, and she had watery poos for a few days, but eventually got used to the new stuff.

she never vomited or had reoccuring diarrhea or went in her crate though. she just had watery poos at her normal times, so it seems like the new food might be making your dog sick. i would try switching her back to the blue buffalo until her system gets back to normal, and then try a more gradual switch.

how have you been doing the switch? have you just been mixing? usually when switching i do one week of 3/4 old 1/4 new, one week of half and half, one week of 1/4 old, 3/4 new and then switch completely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is it possible she'll take to the food over time? Does some food just continue to make dogs sick if it doesn't agree with them? I don't want to put her through that if its going to continue making her sick.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't think it should take WEEKS to transfer dogs from one food to another...

it CAN take weeks. some dogs can do the switch in a matter of days, but since my dog has had an issue in the past, i prefer to take the safe route and gradually introduce the new food.

i think its definitely possible that your dog will take to the new food over time, but i really don't know to tell the truth. it might just be that your dog has a really sensitive stomach.
Edit: I reread your first post and saw that they were only mixed for one meal. I think you definitely need to give it more time than that. I think she be able to adjust.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don't think it should take WEEKS to transfer dogs from one food to another...
Actually, it can. And it should be planned out in advance, not done haphazardly.

Most food brands recommend about a week but that is the absolute minimum it can take.

When we have to make a change - even within the same brand family - we plan out a schedule for a minimum of ten days using measured portions of each food and we go longer if we see any signs of loose bowel movements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, it can. And it should be planned out in advance, not done haphazardly.

Most food brands recommend about a week but that is the absolute minimum it can take.

When we have to make a change - even within the same brand family - we plan out a schedule for a minimum of ten days using measured portions of each food and we go longer if we see any signs of loose bowel movements.
definitely. we adopted a dog about a week ago and the foster mom had been feeding him Nutro Large Breed, even though our dog isn't a large breed, simply because it's what she fed her dogs. I didn't realize how big of a problem it would be when I just bought the Nutro Adult. His poor tummy's just now getting used to the new stuff.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I switched over from Solid Gold WolfKing to Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken and Rice, as well as using the Eagle Pack Transition, and had no issues at all. Here's the Transition.

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_DigestiveAids.html

Then the Eagle Pack Solutions is for when the dog all of a sudden starts getting soft stools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts