Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, First off:We are new here, thank you all for this forum board and any help we can be givin on the boards my the members.

Background: My Family has recently added a new Golden Retriver puppie to the family. She is now 14 weeks old and has had 3 sets of 5 in 1 shots, and Dewormed 3 times.

For the last 3 weeks she has had some pretty bad diaherra. At first we thought it was the swap from the moms milk and the breaders food to our food. Then we thought the worst, parvo! We took he to a vet and we paid alot of money for very poor service. Only to find out nothing! they told us she must of had a stomach infection and gave her an antibiotic even thought there was no fever. They did do a float test and said there was no worms.

1 week later we found clean and present worms in her stool. They were tape worms, we got the dewormer for tape worms, but it has been over a week and she is still having diaherra.

Main Question: It is getting better I think. There have been a dozen or so, very solid, large good poops :) and the diaherra is getting to be a smaller amount. She also now sleeps thru the night (before she needed to go out 2-3 times a night) Does this sound like it is getting better? Also it has been very hot outside during the day, could that be it?

Here is the kicker, the dog acts fine and has been for 3 weeks. There was a 1 or 2 days she acted sick, but generall very playfull and full of energy.

Thanks for reading and hopefull helping!

·
Registered
301 Posts
First off I suggest finding a better fet that you like and feel comfortable with! I would get a second oppinion. The fact her stools are getting firmer is good, but she is still having spells. If she had already been dewormed 3 times before this last bought of visable worms would make me think (in my oppinion) that she had a pretty bad case!

All that being said I suggest finding a different vet and get her looked over again and talk with him about the problems. I personally won't go to a vet or even a human Dr. that I don't feel that I am getting the best service and my needs and feelings are not being met!

But again this is just my oppinion!

·
Registered
361 Posts
First off two things to know...

Dogs very very rarely run fevers with intestinal illnesses. Not having a fever pretty much means nothing as far as how sick a dog is, especially when dealing with an intestinal illness. I have seen some SICK dogs that had no fever whatsoever. There are also over 300+ causes of diarrhea in dogs and it can often be impossible to narrow it down to just one. Most cases just get labeled gastroenteritis, general tummy bug basically. In fact we are always happier when we can find the exact problem because it's easier to treat when you know the cause which is the reason for all the testing. Unfortunately a large amount of the time an exact diagnosis is never found and the symptoms have to be treated.

As to using antibiotics, even if a bacterial infection within the intestines wasn't the initial issue, when a dog has had diarrhea for long enough a bacterial overgrowth will almost always occur as a secondary issue. The antibiotics were most likely to help with that.

Tapeworms are not treated by most common dewormers, so chances are the dewormer your dog was given would have done nothing for them. The tapeworm dewormer is more expensive and rarely used except in cases of known infestation. Also, tapeworm eggs basically never show on fecal flotations and the only way to diagnosis them is by the owner's description. In other words, the vet didn't miss anything on the fecal flotation, they just weren't there to see.

All that said, if you don't feel comfortable with this vet then definitely seek out another that you are comfortable with. None of us were there with you to know what was going on exactly and we can only go by what you have written. I did want to make it clear though that from what you wrote the vet did absolutely nothing wrong or negligent. I can say that going on what you wrote that's what most vets would have done.

As to the issues now, I'd personally add some probiotics to the pups food for a few days and see if that helps since it seems to be almost gone. I'm sure the good bacteria probably took a hit with the diarrhea as well and need some help getting back to good numbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts