Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 16 week old puppy was diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus. We now have to give him very expensive eye drops called desmopressin. If anyone has any experience with this disease please write to me or if you have any advice all is welcome.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a dog with psychogenic diabetes insipidus and unfortunately for us, he didn't respond to the desmopressin, also known as liquid gold. It's a very rare disease and there is no cure but for some, it can be managed with treatment. We have to make sure water, and lots of it, is available at all times and expect to clean up lakes of pee if he can't get outside. Luckily, he uses the hospital pads I have down and also thank goodness dilute urine has no odor. Did your vet do a water deprivation test or did he make the diagnosis based upon your puppy's response to the eye drops? Desmopressin is expensive, especially at vet prices. I have been getting my dogs' meds from Diamondback Drugs in AZ for years. I have 4 chronically ill dogs with multiple conditions and my kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy. If I had to buy all of my meds from the vet, I'd be bankrupt. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts