Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blu Boy has been getting the Dhlpp annual vaccine for his entire life. He is almost 6 years old.

All my dogs receive a 3 year Rabies vaccine.

I have read until I am blue in the face about vaccines. :( I just received his vaccination notification in the mail. I am almost afraid to do this again.

Is this Dhlpp necessary? We do not frequent other dogs unless they are in the family. There are no dog parks. We do go for rides in the car, rides on the boats, and woodland hikes.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
DHPP vaccine is good for at LEAST 3 years so your dog shouldn't need to be getting it every year. The "L" LeptoVac isn't known to be good for as long as the others.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. All my poor dogs have been getting these annually. :( Can the Lepto vac be given separately? If I sound too uniformed when I call to make the wellness check ... I just know they are going to say differently ... though I don't have to have this vaccination by law. Ohio requires Rabies ... to be mandatory.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yes Lepto can be given separately. Honestly if my dogs lived in the city or anywhere where contact with wild or farm animals was minimum I wouldn't even have it done.

You may or may not have luck with getting your vet to do a 3 year DHPP vac, I had no luck with my old vet, the absolutely insisted on me getting them yearly so i called another vet who actually had it as their own office protocol to only do 3 years.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i do all my own vaccines except rabies, so i can determine when w/out any problems w/ the vet.....tho mine are in agreeance w/ me.....i also don't do the lyme or lepto or bordetella as my dogs aren't really at a high risk for them (plus, bordetella covers only 4 strains and there are 16 strains out there.....mine have gotten kennel cough while on the vaccine in the past).....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would discuss this with your vet to get their take on things before you make any decisions. If your vet is hesitant to recommend doing the 3 year vaccine (or accepting a "one year" vaccine is good for 3 years), ask them about doing a titer. You may end up spending more money, but I think it may be worth to you in the long run.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't vaccinate yearly, nor do I bother with bordatella or lepto or lyme. I also don't do the rabies every 3 years. Most dogs get a lifetime of immunity off of one rabies shot. I do titers instead.

Of course, I also don't board my dogs or engage in any sort of sports/competitions, either. If I did, maybe I would do things differently. Everything is a trade off, I suppose.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for everyone's responses. :) They are much appreciated.

I am going to take it up with my vet. If need be I may look for another vet who agrees with my findings. It just seems that there are too many complications that can happen with these vaccines .... and not just immediate ... but long term also. I would like to avoid over-vaccinating.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
You can have titers done to check the immunity levels of the things in the vaccine in lieu of doing the vaccine. Of course, the rub here is that having titers done will cost you a few hundred bucks, and the dhlpp will cost you about $20.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You can have titers done to check the immunity levels of the things in the vaccine in lieu of doing the vaccine. Of course, the rub here is that having titers done will cost you a few hundred bucks, and the dhlpp will cost you about $20.
Sad ... isn't it? ........... Not everyone can afford to have the titer done. :(

For me to get the Dhlpp vaccine it costs me $58 in all per dog ... not including the extras like the frontline, heartguard, or revolution ... which is not really all that bad I guess.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thank you for the reply. All my poor dogs have been getting these annually. :( Can the Lepto vac be given separately? If I sound too uniformed when I call to make the wellness check ... I just know they are going to say differently ... though I don't have to have this vaccination by law. Ohio requires Rabies ... to be mandatory.
Lepto is not even good for a full year. And only covers some strains. I do a three year rabies and titer for the core vaccines (parvo and distemper)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Really? I don't recall exactly how much I paid for the titers, but I am pretty sure it was under $100. I'd rather spend a little extra than constantly be challenging my dog's immune system (which can lead to much more expensive vet fees)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts