Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should/do you deworm your dog and give worm medication?

and what about vaccinations such as bordatella, rabies parvo etc.?

What other health routines do you do for your dog and how often?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Bordo is a completely useless vax.

Never vax and deworm in the same day. My heartworm meds also treat worms. But about 2 - 3 times a year I deworm them. I use a nutual produced called DE.

Mine never get parvo/distmper boosters. They get them as puppies and then that's it.

Rabies can be good for about 7 years, there's simply no need to rebooster them every year.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I work closely with a vet I trust. We decide together what vaccinations and deworming each animal should get depending on exposure risk, benefits of vax / dewormer, mosquito load, age, health, ..... Every animal in our household has gone through the complete puppy / kitten series of DHPP and rabies.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Current recommended Vaccine Schedules for Pets and Titer Testing Info

The 'Core Vaccines' have been proven to last 7+ years for dogs. There are ongoing challenge studies to get the current 3-year rabies laws changed to every 5-7 years instead. In other words, annual vaccines after the initial puppy boosters are not recommended anymore nor are they scientifically supported. Some dogs develop severe autoimmune reactions to vaccines, so they should not be administered lightly if they are not needed.

Seasonal Heartworm Prevention Maps (which references this study) and a General Guide to Heartworm Prevention

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bordo is a completely useless vax.

Never vax and deworm in the same day. My heartworm meds also treat worms. But about 2 - 3 times a year I deworm them. I use a nutual produced called DE.

Mine never get parvo/distmper boosters. They get them as puppies and then that's it.

Rabies can be good for about 7 years, there's simply no need to rebooster them every year.
In our state,rabies shot is required every year for proof so you can get a dog license.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts