Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive reached this forum looking for explanations for why my 6 y.o. rescued JRT (possible Jorgi) was yelping in pain randomly and no longer willing to jump or even walk properly at times. Over the past few months I thought I was crazy hearing her randomly yelp in pain. Turns out, after switching vets my new vet took one look at her episode of yelping and crying and diagnosed her with IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). My previously active and energetic dog is now lethargic and confused, spending most of her night in pain. The medications prescribed aren't entirely working but I'm afraid to ask my vet to up the dose because my dog has never been on meds before. Some risk factors she had were being overweight, possible mix breed, slipping on the newly oiled wooden stairs (maid randomly decided to do it without asking). I never found the answer to this problem online and hope to suggest anyone experiencing issues like this immediately see their vet and learn more about the possibility of IVDD for their dog: https://canna-pet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CP_IVDD_3.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
hello, I'm sorry to hear about your baby!
The first thing I'd suggest doing is putting her on a high protein, low carb diet. https://youtu.be/2S39_fo7-Xo
Losing weight will always help. You could look into adequan shots, too. They did wonders for the cartilage in my basset hounds legs. I don't know if it will help burst disks, but damaged or deteriorating ones could be helped. I'm sure asking will help put the vet on the right track. As for nerve pain, I suffer myself, and the only thing that has helped is anti-inflammatory and pain killer patches. They have started using methadone to treat nerve pain...I tried it, and didn't like some side effects...however when I went off of it, i was surprised to realize how much it really had been helping!
I hope your baby gets settled and better. Thank you for sharing. It's always good that we pet people watch out for each other!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts