Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two rescues, and we know what year Potsie was born, so we just made up a birthday for him (June 1st, figuring half way through the year was safe - lol). So Potsie's 4 years old now.

However, our new rescue, Maddie, is of undetermined age. Her teeth aren't in very good shape (she'll be getting a dental soon), so she looks older than she probably is, going by them. The rescue thought she is 2-3 years old. My vet says maybe 4 years old. I don't care either way, so we're thinking that we'll celebrate both dogs' birthdays on June first and say they're both 4 years old.

What do you think?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I think it is a great idea! Leeo and Blu Boy being littermates and Brothers always had fun celebrating together. We did the doggie cake thing and all! I think you should ... have fun!!!

So is this Happy Belated Birthday today? :D

If so .... here is to wishing them both many happy and healthy Birthdays to come!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, happy belated fourth birthday to Potsie and Maddie - lol! :) Unfortunately, we can't give Maddie anything special to eat. Her little westie half is allergic to almost everything! I gave her a bully stick the other night to help her teeth - bad idea. She was itching like mad within an hour or so (gave her a children's Benadryl to calm down the itching) - guess I can add beef to the list of allergies...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwwe ... I guess you will just have to wrap up a couple toys and let them unwrap them. We always did. The Boys loved it! They were good Boys too ... at Christmas they didn't touch under the tree unless the gift was given to them! Lol! :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, both dogs got a new nylabone this weekend! We're lazy though and didn't wrap them. Potsie gets excited just seeing a toy coming out of the store bag - our dogs are easily amused!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Happy birthday!

Kabota is the same way. He destroyed his teeth chewing on the crate he was in 24/7, so he's 3 or 4 or 5 or, yeah everyone has a different age. I wanted to go with 2, but my husband had a good point, if he is 2 and we call him 5, he'll live to be 15 at least!

So Kabota is 5.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Feel free to make whatever day you like their birthday. :) We do not know Jack or Magpie's birthday/actual age, so we just celebrate the day we got them. The shelter had Jack at 2 years old (I think he was older, but I'll take it) and Magpie at the same. Magpie I has a suspicion she is much older than we think, but again, going with it. All that matters if the time they're with us. Smalls I got from AC when she was about 5 weeks old so I could GUESS a birthday, but I just go with the day I got her.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I think I know Kit's birthday within a couple of months or so. The shelter said she was 7mo and they assigned her birthday as July 1. She didn't grow much more after I got her, but had snow nose for like a year after I got her. So they were probably right, plus or minus a month or two. I celebrate on the day they chose for her. This year she's getting a nice new customized harness for dog sports.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dogs have gotcha days :) though I have some good estimates on their birthdays as well.

Zoe's Gotcha day is Jan 25st, and she was approx 1.5 years old, so we pegged her birthday at June 25 :)

Scout's Gotcha day was June 24 and she was approx 4 years old, but we later found out (by running into her first of 3 owners) that she was bought mid-July at 6 weeks old, so we put her birthday at June 1st.

Oliver's Gotcha day is Feb 1st, my vet said he was JUST 6 months old (even though the vet in Texas put him at 10 months, we know my vet is right because he grew another 3 inches!) so his birthday is August 1st.

Mouse's Gotcha day is May 23rd and she was 5-5.5 months old, so we put her birthday at Christmas :)

Boo's gotcha day is December 2nd, but he came with papers (even though he was a 6.5 year old rescue, they gave me his papers :) ) so his birthday is July 16th

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel's paperwork I got when I adopted him (5/1/10) had about four different dates of birth for him and I just picked the one that made the most sense based on the rest of the info in the paperwork 1/28/08. So I say he was just over 2 years old when I adopted him which the vet agreed looked like a good approximation.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Eddee was estimated to be 10 months to a year old and had lost his last canine the week I adopted him. This estimate sounds about correct to me. So ... I am tempted to pick the 4 th of July as his Birthday ... he is a "firecracker" of a dog! Hahahaha!!! Pun intended. :)
( too much coffee!!!! Lol!)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Canines are fully grown when the dog is 6 months old. so if he just lost his last canine when you adopted him, he was 4.5-5 months old.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Canines are fully grown when the dog is 6 months old. so if he just lost his last canine when you adopted him, he was 4.5-5 months old.
I think it was his puppy one .... sort of up above his adult tooth ... it had not been pushed out properly yet. His adult one was already fully in. :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit was estimated to be 7 months old when we brought her home at the end of July. The vet said that sounded about right, in part because her teeth were so spotlessly white. Therefore, we decided to celebrate her birthday on Christmas. You know, because she is so much like Jesus. Obviously.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i think it is a wonderful idea. For winter we had to peg it because she was super young so with what info we had we guessed in November around thanksgiving, so we say turkey day is her birthday. and for snow when we got her the shelter said Oct. 28 2011. Normally i know alot of the shleters around her wont put a bday so i always guessed she was a OTI ( owner turn in) and they told them her bday. So we just go with what they had down and it seems to be right.

happy belated bday to ur fur babies :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know my peke's exact birthday 3-25-12, but with my cats I had no idea. So the day I celebrate as their birthday is the day I brought them home from the Humane Society.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts