Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sea glass Detection Training....?

All kinds of dog out there are trained to detect all sorts of things from drugs to cancer. I really think Bella would be very good at this and LOVE it. I've never known a dog so obsessed with sniffing. A tiny kibble of food under the hutch will NOT go un-noticed! :rolleyes:

I've been trying to train her to find sea glass! I'm sure it can be done...I just have no idea where to start. I think I'm confusing her more than anything.

I take out three objects about the same size (one being a piece of sea glass, and when she sniffs the sea glass I say "yeeeaaahh!! Good job!!" and give her a treat...but she is so obsessed with the treat she gets all wound up and starts trying to give me her paw and rolling over etc...

How are detection dogs started out? Is she TOO reward oriented? Just a clown? :D

Sea glass is becoming "extinct" and my collection is not over...need some help! :p

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Re: Sea glass Detection Training....?

I didn't know that sea glass had a different smell. If you're trying to train by sight alone, I've never heard of anyone doing that since dogs are basically color blind and don't have real good vision...about 20/70 by human standards.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I thought if dogs can tell the difference in scent from say - grass and marijuana (however it's spelled), or normal cells from cancerous cells etc...(lots more things that I can't think of) - sea glass must have a different scent from rocks or sand...? Might have to think about that a bit more though....

I want to give her a hobby...that both of us love...if possible (being beach bums sounds pretty good :p) I wanted to try the tracking that one of the other members posted about, too. She needs a job! :eek:

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you...I was searching on-line for "detection dogs" and it came up with police work (obviously)....wasn't quite what I needed.

We can do this! If not for sea glass...then other stuff that SHE will love looking for! :D

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

I didn't know that sea glass had a different smell. If you're trying to train by sight alone, I've never heard of anyone doing that since dogs are basically color blind and don't have real good vision...about 20/70 by human standards.
I read about a study where sterilized glass ashtrays were buried in the sand at the beach. They were buried below the high water line and left there for one or two tidal cycles. Amazingly the dogs were able to find them.

Now, I have no idea how that's even possible, and I can't cite the article. It was published before the internet existed, so I don't know if it's online anywhere. I really have a hard time believing it, but it was supposedly legit. Like the documented stories of dogs tracking their families from one coast to another, and showing up at the new family home three months after being given up for lost. I'm pretty sure that's impossible, too.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

I think you're on the right track, but I'd use a clicker instead of praise and a treat. It sounds like the dog is getting excited at being praised and treated and losing focus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts