Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

I'm asking about my Lab/weim mix today. Need some insight, as I've never had this issue before.

Both my lab mixes spend time in their crate. I do let them out to exercise and play, and/or be in the house with us. They are still puppies, though, so it depends on the day and how well behaved they are as to how long they are out. :)

Anyway...my Weim mix always looks very relaxed in her crate when I see her. However, when she's by herself she's started to tear up her crate pan. I've never had a dog do this (I've attached a photo).

Neither one can have towels or bedding in their crates because they get shredded in record time. So, I got them Kong Extremes. Unless I keep them full of treats (which they get out pretty fast), they don't use them.

She loves tennis balls (or the dog version, anyway), but within minutes she breaks them open and starts trying to eat it (this is as she's laying at our feet).

I bought these giant tennis balls for each of them, and they seemed happy with that...for a few hours. Then we discovered she broke that too. We took it away from her, fearing she'd eat that too.

Her "sister", our lab/whatever mix (either pit, or bulldog we guess) doesn't seem to have this problem with toys, but she is hard on them. I bought a Remington retriever trainer that didn't last but a few days between the two of them.

Anyway, I don't know what to do. I don't want to remove the pan entirely, but I can't keep buying new ones. I don't know if it is anxiety, boredom, or what. Can't be separation anxiety, in my mind at least, since she also destroys stuff at our feet.

I thought Labs had "soft mouths"? LOL

Suggestions? Thanks.

IMG_0665.jpg Apologies for the sideways slant...it's not saved that way on my computer.

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
I thought Labs had "soft mouths"? LOL
Soft mouth means a lab will bring back live prey instead of killing it. It has nothing to do with jaw strength. My children - young at the time - were constantly begging me to take various rabbits and other critters to the vet. They were maimed and traumatized by having been scooped up by a gigantic lab, but he never killed them.

Regarding crates: I've personally had better luck with the hard plastic crates, with no blankets or pads.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Have you tried a jolly ball (the horse one not the dog one..... They make two kinds, one made for dogs & one for horses, you want the latter) I strung mine from a tree & made a flirt pole out of it & Josefina loves it, later when I'm not mobile I will paste some pics of her playing with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried a jolly ball (the horse one not the dog one..... They make two kinds, one made for dogs & one for horses, you want the latter) I strung mine from a tree & made a flirt pole out of it & Josefina loves it, later when I'm not mobile I will paste some pics of her playing with it.
I've never heard of it. I'll look into it. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts