Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month and a half ago I adopted a 7 yr old Springer Spaniel from the local shelter. He'd been surrendered by his previous family because they literally knew nothing about owning high-energy dogs. He wasn't abused or anything, in fact they really really loved him. They just had no idea what they were doing.

The biggest issue this dog has is that he's TERRIBLE at walking on a leash. His previous family always walked him on one of those long extendable leashes and basically let him drag them down the street. For over a month I've been trying to get him to walk properly on a short (4.5 ft) leash, and while he's gotten a bit better, I still have to stop at least a dozen times during a 30 min walk to remind him to heel. He'll walk great for half a block or so, and then he'll get distracted by a noise or a smell and he yanks towards it. I'm getting really frustrated and now that it's snowy and icy outside, I'm afraid to walk him because I don't want to slip and fall.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for leash training a dog?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
There are lots of threads here with information on training LLW. It isn't easy, thus all the attention the topic gets!
I wish I had heard about Silky Leash before I started working with Ginger, try it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZarFGdcj8s&list=PL07B86C59DB4D0257&index=2

Get rid of the notion that walks have to go someplace for now. You and your dog can get just as much exercise and use a lot more mental energy practicing walking around a room, the driveway or the middle of your quiet street as walking to the mailbox or park. You are spending quality time with your new dog!

I am all for my dogs getting to sniff during walks but it does need to be on my terms. Pulling dogs don't get to sniff! Early days, soon you will know the really important places to sniff and be able to let him sniff there and work on LLW other places. I have done inchworm walks when sniffs were desperately needed for some reason. Dog is on sit stay, I walk to end of leash and call dog to me and release to the sniff that is within the leash's reach so no pulling will happen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts