Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
Do not treat aggression with MORE aggression as it will likely INCREASE the chances of the dog biting you. Do not use the spray bottle as suggested by HandH. It could easily ESCALATE his aggression.

This dog does not need a trainer. He needs to be seen by a certified behaviorist. As you note, his behavior is dangerous.

Meanwhile, buy a crate and train him to go in the crate. The crate needs to be big enough to stand up in, turn around in and lie down comfortably in. Get a book from www.dogwise.com called "Crate Games" (inexpensive) to help with the Crate training.

When you want to lay on the couch, in the recliner etc., crate the dog. This is for your safety and the dog's well being.

Just an aside. How much exercise is this dog getting? Corgi dogs are high energy and need to be walked.. about an hour and a half a day (4-5 miles).

Another thought.. has anyone checked this dogs eyesight? Sometimes a dog will develop caracts and not be able to see well and will snap at movement because the movement appears as "shadows" and is not recognized by the dog.

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
Crate games.. the DVD ;) as Pampered Pups says. You are NOT forcing the dog into the crate. You are showing the dog the Crate is a good thing. I actually just tell my dog "Crate" and she goes in. I know someone else who tells her dog to "go to jail" and the dog FLIES into the crate, turns around and sits as if it is the greatest thing on earth.

This is NOT a dog to used any sort of force based training on. You are correct. You could be bitten.

If you get a crate that is plastic so it is like a den he may find it more acceptable.

A dog that snaps.. and that is what you are describing.. is IMO way MORE dangerous than the dog that openly gives signlas such as ruff up, growling etc. b4 biting.

Most dogs like to eat. I fed my dog in the crate with the door open to get her started. I stopped doing it after she would go to her crate easily on request because a dog eating alone in a crate can become very food/resource possessive which is also dangerous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts