Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, this will be long...

I have a 10 year old corgi/shephard mix. He is the sweetest thing most of the time. I don't want to put my dog down, but I am in desperate need of help.

The issue is biting... It comes out of NOWHERE and is BAD!! The problem is the dog will continue to sit next to the couch my mom or I are laying on and a couple of times we forgot he was there, and he attacks us as we get off.. Last week, my mom was getting up, he was right under her, and he jumped up and bit part of her cheek. My mom thinks she may have stepped on his tail, but if he was asleep and woken, he would have done the same thing. He also follows my mom and I around the house all the time. If we make a wrong step, or step backwards, he gets mad!

Let me tell you, I have had a trainer to the house. Met with the trainer outside with the dog and we all walked into the house together. The dog didn't bark or have any problems with her coming in the house. He would have barked if she had knocked on the door though.. Trainer said he was well behaved because she usually asks people to put their dog in a cage. She came twice and when she was training him with food, it was great for about 10 minutes, and then after about the 15th time or so of her moving the food away from him, he attacked her feet.. :/ The trainer was shocked, he really went after her. (This happened 2 years ago, after another bite issue). The Trainer thought he might have a medical issue, but tests came back fine (including thyroid). He doesn't show aggressiveness ahead of time to warn you, that's what's scary.

Went to dog training in the park, my dog sat there and didn't seem at all agressive towards the other dogs. Didn't really work well.

Spoke with the vet, did blood tests, everything normal. The vet said the dog is not what he would call 'aggressive', but he wants to be boss.

How do I fix that without him becoming aggressive towards me? My mom and I want to be able to lay on the couch WITHOUT having to worry about the dog laying under it. When I call him away from the couch, he doesn't move.

I have, put down a blanet on the other side of the room and put toys on it. I've tied my dog up with his leash in that area. I don't want to keep him tied up for hours and now he seems to hate his leash. Tonight, he was tied up on his leash, my mom was on the couch and I was about 5 feet away from the dog in the chair on the computer. He came and layed RIGHT next to the chair. WHen I moved to get up, he tried to attack the chair. :/

I am desperate for ideas about how to keep him AWAY from the couches. I just feel he is getting more and more aggressive when I am tying him up. That doesn't seem to be teaching him or working at all.. He has his own blanket, like I said, but he wont' stay there longer than 20-30 minutes.

I am SO scared about him next to the couch, he could EASILY bite again and take an eye out or something. I DO NOT want to have to put him down, but this horrible to deal with.

Before my mom got bit last week, the dog hadn't bitten us in a year and a half. We THOUGHT he was doing better. It is NOT like he bites often.. It's just out of the blue and SCARY!

Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
296 Posts
put colored masking tape as a perimeter around any furniture you dont want him near when you are on it. Any time he crosses that line spray him with a water bottle with vinegar and water.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Do not treat aggression with MORE aggression as it will likely INCREASE the chances of the dog biting you. Do not use the spray bottle as suggested by HandH. It could easily ESCALATE his aggression.

This dog does not need a trainer. He needs to be seen by a certified behaviorist. As you note, his behavior is dangerous.

Meanwhile, buy a crate and train him to go in the crate. The crate needs to be big enough to stand up in, turn around in and lie down comfortably in. Get a book from www.dogwise.com called "Crate Games" (inexpensive) to help with the Crate training.

When you want to lay on the couch, in the recliner etc., crate the dog. This is for your safety and the dog's well being.

Just an aside. How much exercise is this dog getting? Corgi dogs are high energy and need to be walked.. about an hour and a half a day (4-5 miles).

Another thought.. has anyone checked this dogs eyesight? Sometimes a dog will develop caracts and not be able to see well and will snap at movement because the movement appears as "shadows" and is not recognized by the dog.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree with Elana. You have ruled out thyroid disease, have attempted training and have made little progress. You need the dog assessed by a certified behaviourist..either a Veterinary behaviourist (DVM with behaviour cert.) or a Phd animal behaviourist.

He may need medication along with behaviour mod. Reconcile (fluoxetine), otherwise known as prozac, is used quite successfully in aggression cases that do not respond to ony behaviour modification.

It is worth the money to have an expert in who can properly assess the problem you have. Handler based aggression and extreme resource guarding (which is what this "sounds" like, is not common but is very serious and requires Expert help.

Until then, continue with management, even muzzling him (basket muzzle) if necessary. Institue NILIF and try your best never to "confront" him with aggression or punishment..as I'm sure you've realized this will just cause him to aggress more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me first say, he is IMPOSSIBLE to muzzel. I've tried it, the vet has tried it, they just have to put a towel over his head when he gets shots.

Though the doctor did say last time my dog was doing much better.

Not sure about a crate because I may be able to get him into it a few times (if THAT), but he is a smart dog and will fight me to get in and may be even bite. I don't want him to turn around and bite me if I try and make him go into a crate.

I understand about a behaviourist and will look into that.

I don't want to say he's not aggressive because obviously if he is biting, he is. BUT, he gives no warning ahead of time and I don't think he's even mad when this happens.. It's just sudden and I think 95% of it is he doesn't know his place... He follows us around and if we accidently move and step on him and he's behind one of us, he will attack.

This is the ONLY time he has ever attacked. He is not what you see on TV with dogs that are aggressive. Even the vet said, he has no problem coming into the room when my dog is there, but some dogs are so aggressive they start growling and stuff as soon as the vet opens to door to come in the check up room.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Crate games.. the DVD ;) as Pampered Pups says. You are NOT forcing the dog into the crate. You are showing the dog the Crate is a good thing. I actually just tell my dog "Crate" and she goes in. I know someone else who tells her dog to "go to jail" and the dog FLIES into the crate, turns around and sits as if it is the greatest thing on earth.

This is NOT a dog to used any sort of force based training on. You are correct. You could be bitten.

If you get a crate that is plastic so it is like a den he may find it more acceptable.

A dog that snaps.. and that is what you are describing.. is IMO way MORE dangerous than the dog that openly gives signlas such as ruff up, growling etc. b4 biting.

Most dogs like to eat. I fed my dog in the crate with the door open to get her started. I stopped doing it after she would go to her crate easily on request because a dog eating alone in a crate can become very food/resource possessive which is also dangerous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts