Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
You need treats and you need lots of them. Cut back on the kibble, if you're concerned about having a fat dog. And maybe consider something other than cereal. For some dogs, Cheerios will work, but when we talk about "high value" treats, we're talking about roasted chicken, warm hot dogs, dried liver, or cheese cubes, all of which smell way better to a dog than cereal!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You need treats and you need lots of them. Cut back on the kibble, if you're concerned about having a fat dog. And maybe consider something other than cereal. For some dogs, Cheerios will work, but when we talk about "high value" treats, we're talking about roasted chicken, warm hot dogs, dried liver, or cheese cubes, all of which smell way better to a dog than cereal!
He does take the Cheerios but I get the feeling he is not too crazy about them! There are occasions he sniffs it and then turns away!

I think the breeder was very concerned about having a "fat dog"! So now I am wondering what to put inside the Kong, but first I need to buy the kong! :)

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
245 Posts
So now I am wondering what to put inside the Kong, but first I need to buy the kong! :)
Wherever you get the Kong, they should have Kong stuffing there as well. It comes either as dry treats (my dogs don't much care for those) or it comes in a can (thing cool-whip/cheese type can) My dogs LOVE that stuff. I know there are at least three flavors, liver, peanut butter and something else. Or, you could just put a couple dallops of regular peanut butter in there too.

My elkhound will spend 15 minutes or more, making sure she gets every dab of peanut butter out of her kong. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One of my wife's friends has introduced us to a dog trainer. His name is Steve DiTullio .and this is his website: http://forpawzdogtraining.com/index.html

He came to our house today. After a few minutes of being here his focus became Jeter's uneasiness around the kids and insecurity! He felt that Jeter needs lots of work with socialization and he thought it could take some time for him to warm-up to the kids. He also mentioned that perhaps the breeder decided not to take him to the show because of this particular trait!!

He gave us a few exercises to do with the kids. In one exercise he asked me (since Jeter is most comfortable with me) to put Jeter on a leash, sit on the floor and have Jeter sit in between my legs. Then he asked the kids, one by one first, to approach him slowly. If Jeter would try to get away, the trainer told me to pull him back and have him sit in between my legs once again, comfort him and then ask the kids to approach again and try to pet him and even give him treats!

There were times that Jeter would try to run away and I did "drag" him back! Other times, though he would allow them to pet him, he was for sure not 100% comfortable.

The trainer then told us to do this few times a day and keep practicing it as it is going to take somettime.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
One of my wife's friends has introduced us to a dog trainer. His name is Steve DiTullio .and this is his website: http://forpawzdogtraining.com/index.html

He came to our house today. After a few minutes of being here his focus became Jeter's uneasiness around the kids and insecurity! He felt that Jeter needs lots of work with socialization and he thought it could take some time for him to warm-up to the kids. He also mentioned that perhaps the breeder decided not to take him to the show because of this particular trait!!

He gave us a few exercises to do with the kids. In one exercise he asked me (since Jeter is most comfortable with me) to put Jeter on a leash, sit on the floor and have Jeter sit in between my legs. Then he asked the kids, one by one first, to approach him slowly. If Jeter would try to get away, the trainer told me to pull him back and have him sit in between my legs once again, comfort him and then ask the kids to approach again and try to pet him and even give him treats!
There were times that Jeter would try to run away and I did "drag" him back! Other times, though he would allow them to pet him, he was for sure not 100% comfortable.
The trainer then told us to do this few times a day and keep practicing it as it is going to take somettime.

What do you guys think?
I think from my previous posts about not forcing treats and dropping them you can guess what I think of this method. This doesn't mean it CAN'T work but I believe it is risky. It is flooding and forcing the dog to interact when he doesn't feel safe. IMO this is an unsafe method as it puts the dog in a position where he cannot remove himself and also teaches the kids that they don't have to respect his boundaries. This puts everyone at risk and who gets blamed if the dog feels the need to aggress because he's essentially cornered? The dog does. When he had no control over anything.

I am happy the trainer recognized it is a fear issue, that is a good thing and atleast he's not into dominance mumbo jumbo. If you are comfortable with him and with his methods then continue with him.

·
Registered
245 Posts

What do you guys think?
I have a couple red flags here, and these are strictly my opinion.

1 - I am not a big fan of dragging a dog to a place where it doesn't want to be. Think of it this way, when the dog tries to get away you drag him back and the kids pet him. This just reinforces his distrust of the kids.

2 - He doesn't have any real credentials. He never went to school, or studied anywhere. By reading that website it sounds like all he did was hang around another trainer (who's credentials are unknown) then decided "Hey, I want to do this." and just started.

He may be a good guy, I have no idea but those two things would make me ask a whole lot of questions about him. Just my opinion of course. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have a couple red flags here, and these are strictly my opinion.

1 - I am not a big fan of dragging a dog to a place where it doesn't want to be. Think of it this way, when the dog tries to get away you drag him back and the kids pet him. This just reinforces his distrust of the kids.

2 - He doesn't have any real credentials. He never went to school, or studied anywhere. By reading that website it sounds like all he did was hang around another trainer (who's credentials are unknown) then decided "Hey, I want to do this." and just started.

He may be a good guy, I have no idea but those two things would make me ask a whole lot of questions about him. Just my opinion of course. :)
Very good and valid points! Thanks

I think I will look for someone else but that is where my problem is, I have no idea what to look for or believe in! ALL recommendations will be more than welcomed!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
By the way, something I forgot to mention and wanted to also get your opinion on.

This morning we were sitting in the Den with Jeter. (This is before the trainer had come to our house.) After my daughter woke up and walked into the Den, Jeter started barking at her nonstop. In the past Jeter would just jump and run away but that is not what he did this time. He did somewhat back off at first, but then started barking!

Jeter hardly ever barks. In fact I have never even seen him bark at strangers. So to see him bark at my daughter was VERY STRANGE to say the least!

So what do you guys’ think is going on there?:confused:

What do you recommend my daughter should do if he repeats this behavior?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
So it's been about a month since he's moved in..he may be barking now that he's getting more comfortable in showing his feelings (honeymoon period may be over) and what this means is that some of his behaviours may increase in frequency and some may fade away.
Barking is a distancing behaviour and as long as he is not running up TO her and barking at her I would simply have her stand there, not looking at him, until he stops and then calmly move on. The reason for this is twofold:
It teaches him that the barking doesn't work to increase distance (thus not reinforcing the behaviour)
It teaches him that your daughter will not escalate the situation (and teaches her how to remain calm as well).

As for trainers/behaviourists:
http://www.iaabc.org/suchen/display_consultant.php

This is the page for NY state.
Look for someone who uses positive reinforcement and science based training, but they are all certified through the Intl. Assoc. Animal Behavior Consultants.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So it's been about a month since he's moved in..he may be barking now that he's getting more comfortable in showing his feelings (honeymoon period may be over) and what this means is that some of his behaviours may increase in frequency and some may fade away.
Barking is a distancing behaviour and as long as he is not running up TO her and barking at her I would simply have her stand there, not looking at him, until he stops and then calmly move on. The reason for this is twofold:
It teaches him that the barking doesn't work to increase distance (thus not reinforcing the behaviour)
It teaches him that your daughter will not escalate the situation (and teaches her how to remain calm as well).

As for trainers/behaviourists:

This is the page for NY state.
Look for someone who uses positive reinforcement and science based training, but they are all certified through the Intl. Assoc. Animal Behavior Consultants.
Thank you Cracker!!

I forgot to mention one more thing and am not sure if it means anything, Jeter continued barking at my daughter till my wife sat next to my daughter. That made him stop!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link! I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

As for trainers/behaviorists:

I just did a search and had a question. What is the difference between a Certified Consultant and an Associate Consultant.

The search result returned couple of consultants, one is a Certified Consultant while the other, whom happens to be closer to me, is an Associate Consultant!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Hmm. I think that it's two different levels of education/experience. Though just being an associate consultant would still require a huge amount of experience etc. It's worth asking the consultant when you speak to them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I just made a quick observation and am not sure if it is significant.

My son and my 8 yr. old daughter had their friends over today. Both came at the same time.

When my son's frieds came over Jeter approached them with caution and sniffed them, but did not let them to pet him.

But when my daughter's friend came (whom has long hair like my daughter and almost same physique) he barked at her and would not get close to her!!

It almost looks like he has something against girls!!!

At the same time let me add this, the two times we went to the breeder's house Jeter showed absolutly no reaction whatsoever to my daughters! In fact he woud even take treats from them.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Though most dogs more frequently have issues with young boys, some do with girls. It has a lot to do with socialization in their first 4 months of life, whether they had been exposed at all or whether the exposure had been unpleasant.
At least now you have likely identified a trigger for Jeter. This is half the battle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have another important question on the side!

Jeter has NOT been neutered yet and we must do that. I have not seen him do any "marking" behavior yet and I was told he should be neutered before he learns that!

But given with all that is going on, I am not sure when would be a good time? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hello again everyone.

I have some updates that thought I should share with you all:

• Jeter is doing better with my son! Still cautious but warms up to him much faster and my wife says when I am not around Jeter actually follows his commands. :)
  • As for my Daughters, Jeter is getting maybe an inch or two closer than before but yesterday, once again, he started barking at my older daughter.
  • Jeter has become more playful now! In fact, for the first time, I found him playing by himself! :) Also, it is the strangest thing for me that he does not find his toys interesting! But he likes things like empty water bottles (actually he had ton of fun with that yesterday) tree branches, and socks, so far!
  • He is also now beginning to sleep and lie down on his beds more and more often!
  • We are signing him up for Puppy Kindergarten as the breeder thinks it should help him to socialize and become more secure. The trainer that is holding the Puppy classes, after having heard what is going on, recommended that I buy the Happy Kids, Happy Dogs book and reading it!
  • Jeter is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow (Thursday) :(
  • As for his housebreaking, we have been on an accident free streak BUT this morning he had soiled his "crate"!!! :( I did not say or punish him in any way but am wondering why he would have done that given that I walked him the night before, right before bed, and he did make!!!:eek:
Thanks for participating and helping out!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hello again everyone.

I have some updates that thought I should share with you all:

• Jeter is doing better with my son! Still cautious but warms up to him much faster and my wife says when I am not around Jeter actually follows his commands. :)
  • As for my Daughters, Jeter is getting maybe an inch or two closer than before but yesterday, once again, he started barking at my older daughter.
  • Jeter has become more playful now! In fact, for the first time, I found him playing by himself! :) Also, it is the strangest thing for me that he does not find his toys interesting! But he likes things like empty water bottles (actually he had ton of fun with that yesterday) tree branches, and socks, so far!
  • He is also now beginning to sleep and lie down on his beds more and more often!
  • We are signing him up for Puppy Kindergarten as the breeder thinks it should help him to socialize and become more secure. The trainer that is holding the Puppy classes, after having heard what is going on, recommended that I buy the Happy Kids, Happy Dogs book and reading it!
  • Jeter is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow (Thursday) :(
  • As for his housebreaking, we have been on an accident free streak BUT this morning he had soiled his "crate"!!! :( I did not say or punish him in any way but am wondering why he would have done that given that I walked him the night before, right before bed, and he did make!!!:eek:
Thanks for participating and helping out!
It sounds like you are on the right path to having a happy & confident dog!...Good for you!:D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think that accidents just happen sometimes. My dog had ONE accident in his crate as well. His schedule was off because of the holiday--we were everywhere!

It sounds like your dog is warming up to your family. It's great to hear that!

I don't know how much it would help in this situation, but you might have your daughter's sleep with an old blanket that you can place in the pen with the dog as well. It might help him warm to their scents.

I had a dog who NEVER played with toys...EVER! Maybe take him to the store and let him pick his own toy out. Scrappy LOVED going to the store and he picked out a squeaky toy that he even tries to take outside when he has to pee! LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I spoke with the Dog Behaviorist Parvene Farhoody today. From what I understand she is very good and respected. Though she had said before she does not have time for us, after she heard about the issues, in particular that Jeter is insecure, not playful and fearful of my daughters, she was kind enough to call me on the phone and share her professional opinion.

The very first recommendation that she had was NOT TO NEUTER him - at least not for the next three months. She thought, given his status, its going to make things worst and perhaps the testosterone is what he needs to get over his fears. And by neutering him he may become even more fearful!!

She also said that it is very possible that Jeter may siomple not have the temperament for our household and we should strongly consider taking him back to the breeder!! :( That perhaps Jeter is more suited for an elderly couple or a signle individual!

She felt that if after three weeks the dog is still afraid of my daughters and refuses to even take treats from them then, even though he may eventually warm up to them, he may turn out to be a dog that when my kids friends come over, he would have to be lucked up!! And, furthermore, it may also turn out that he will never be the playful dog we are expecting! And that kind of disappointment can hurt him and the kids!!

To say the least I was very upset to hear the recommendation and it is truly tearing me apart to even consider such notion. I had brushed on the idea before in the house and my son was going to have a fit though my 8 year old daughter said she woudl have to think about it and my 3 year old said yes! My wife was against it!

To summarize, I am now VERY VERY confused!!! :confused:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.