Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 13.5 year old german shepherd was diagnosed with vestibular disease almost three weeks ago (19 days ago). In this time she has yet to stand up on her own or obviously walk either but she has improved in all other areas from personailty, strength, appetite. She has a severe head tilt and many of the other VD symptoms.

We have had every kind of tests done from brain MRI's to spinal taps, checked for tumors and cancer, etc... Everything has come back crystal clear except that she did have some elevated liver levels which no one says was anything serious . The only other thing is we treated her for cushings disease also but those pills are about to run out.

It's now almost three weeks and my vet(s) say they see no reason that she won't walk again in time but me and my wife are really struggling with that as she still can barely sit up for no more than 10 seconds before she lays right back down. This was a very healthy and active dog before all of this happened, looking five years younger than she is. We have done everything we can think of and are tired of this minute to minute care that we have had to give her (cleaning her as she goes the bathroom where she lays, etc), it's been so very hard as the dog is 110 lbs but we also love her more than anything in this world and don't want to give up either.

Any suggestions would be beyond helpful. We are so desperate, exhausted and frustrated right now praying every day this ends. Has anyone heard of vestibular lasting this long where a dog can't walk? When is it official she won't walk again? Do we trust our vets and keep waiting for this big improvement. We obviously don't want to put the dog down as the vets keep saying that she will walk again and is in no pain at all outside of being frustrated herself.

Anyone heard of anything like this before? A VD case this severe? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your time!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent response and greatly appreciated.

As for the meds used, we have been on everything you mentioned except steroids for the exact reasoning you pointed out. As for the liver disease that you bring up, some very good points and we haven't really gone that route.

I am convinced now that the vets are wrong with their diagnosis and it's something else but what it is I have no idea at all. This liver thought yoou mentioned is an idea that I will look into.

The vets say just too wait it out and have nothing else for us (so frustrating). If they were a little more grim with their hopes then I think we would have our answer but they are saying this is just a severe case of VD and she will eventually be fine. I have researched the subject back, front and sideways and have never heard a dog go this long as we have. A part of me wonders if we are not being patient enough but three weeks of putting your life on hold is pretty patient, IMO.

The vets have talked about us once again bringing the dog if she is still not walking but between moving around a 110lb dog and the money (already $5,000 into this) it's hard to go that route unless they were positive they knew.

Any top teaching hospital you reccomend, etc?
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top