Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
If your vet isn't worried about the elevated liver values, I doubt that the liver is causing the problems. Dogs with cushing's have elevated liver enzymes and often times they will normalize with treatment but sometimes they continue to have mild elevations. There is a specific pattern with cushing's, in that the ALKP (Alkaline Phosphatase) is usually the enzyme with highest elevation with mild elevation in ALT. ALT is a liver specific enzyme so if liver disease is involved, you would see more than a three or four fold increase and there would most definitely be other abnormal blood values.

One of the hallmark symptoms of VD is nystagmus, which is involuntary movement of the eyes. In VD that movement is rapid and hard to miss. If this was a symptom upon diagnosis, I think you probably have a correct diagnosis and even if you didn't notice, I believe your vet has been extremely thorough in eliminating other possibilities, i.e. MRI and spinal tap. Most vets don't go that far in confirming a diagnosis. Each dog is unique in how long it takes for recovery and I've seen some take a few months. How long have you been treating for cushing's and what medication are you using? When was the last time you had cortisol levels checked? Low cortisol can cause extreme weakness but if your dog is eating, I doubt that's the case. Once cushing's treatment brings cortisol down, hip dysplasia/arthritis is often unmasked. With your dog's breeding and age, joint problems are common and perhaps this could be compounding her inability to stand.

I'm a member of a great canine cushing's group and we do have a few members who have dealt with VD. Please consider visiting www.k9cushings.com and becoming a member. It's a great place for support.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.