Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Desperate for some answers- dog with Vestibular Disease

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lulusmom 
I'm sorry you are going through this. A couple of things come to mind... Has your vet treated the VD with antibiotics, steroids, and anti nausea meds? If the dog has cushings, then usually they don't give steroids, as steroids makes cushings worse. So if they left out steroids, did the vet use something else to reduce inner ear imflammation? It seems like they should have (maybe an NSAID).

A side effect of liver disease is sometimes dogs that will walk in circles and seem unbalanced. Has the liver disease been treated? Adenosyl 223 is helpful, but I don't know if you can give it to a cushingnoid dog.

I'd probably forward the medical records to a top teaching hospital and have them review it for a 2nd opinion. It wouldn't be that expensive, but I would make a decision bsed on what they suggest.

Good luck, and pls update us.

Any top teaching hospital you reccomend, etc?
Off the top of my head, I don't know who to recommend. Post a thread on the General Forum with a title like "Help! Ill dog...Need vet teaching hospital recommendation for 2nd opinion". You should get more feedback there. You can also link this thread in your post for more ideas.

Did your vets give any NSAIDS to reduce imflammation of the inner ear? My vet said that imflammation and hardening of the inner ear structures are one of the causes of VD in older dogs. Maybe an NSAID would help. (but check with your vet...People NSAIDs are toxic to dogs).

Dogs with liver disease will usually circle to the left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.