Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 13.5 year old german shepherd was diagnosed with vestibular disease almost three weeks ago (19 days ago). In this time she has yet to stand up on her own or obviously walk either but she has improved in all other areas from personailty, strength, appetite. She has a severe head tilt and many of the other VD symptoms.

We have had every kind of tests done from brain MRI's to spinal taps, checked for tumors and cancer, etc... Everything has come back crystal clear except that she did have some elevated liver levels which no one says was anything serious . The only other thing is we treated her for cushings disease also but those pills are about to run out.

It's now almost three weeks and my vet(s) say they see no reason that she won't walk again in time but me and my wife are really struggling with that as she still can barely sit up for no more than 10 seconds before she lays right back down. This was a very healthy and active dog before all of this happened, looking five years younger than she is. We have done everything we can think of and are tired of this minute to minute care that we have had to give her (cleaning her as she goes the bathroom where she lays, etc), it's been so very hard as the dog is 110 lbs but we also love her more than anything in this world and don't want to give up either.

Any suggestions would be beyond helpful. We are so desperate, exhausted and frustrated right now praying every day this ends. Has anyone heard of vestibular lasting this long where a dog can't walk? When is it official she won't walk again? Do we trust our vets and keep waiting for this big improvement. We obviously don't want to put the dog down as the vets keep saying that she will walk again and is in no pain at all outside of being frustrated herself.

Anyone heard of anything like this before? A VD case this severe? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for your time!!!

·
Banned
199 Posts
I haven't heard of this, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. From what I looked up online it sounds like this type (Idiopathic) usually clears in 14 days, tops. I would be feeling exactly the same as you. I hope someone here is familiar with this condition.

Have you tried laying an adult diaper under her? It's just an idea, maybe it would help to contain more than a puppy pad or a towel.

I don't know how long you wait, but I would probably get a second opinion, because it's already been longer than the top end of typical duration for what they think is her type. I read the info on the disease here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

I'm wishing the best for you all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah a part of me posted here at this forum hoping to hear another poster maybe say "oh my dog had this for a month without walkng and is now fine, etc.....", just to feel some sort of positive hope.

We have had 2 different opinions so far and both said they thought the same thing (vestibualr as the tilted head is the main thing). It's just so much stress on everyone lumbering around 110 lb dog that can't stand up and then you have to add in the financial burden this has placed ($5,000 and counting). No doubt though if someone did have the answer we would do what had to be done to get this whole thing resolved (to a certain extent obviously) and get on with our lives again.

Just sitting around doing nothing like they basically suggest is so awful.

Thanks for the site, I have read that one along with close to 50 other ones I would estimate about this disease over the last 3 weeks. Odd thing is I and everyone I have spoke since she got sick had never even heard of VD before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess one question I do have for others here is:

Has anyone heard of a dog dying or never being able to walk again with Vestibular Disease?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My boyfriends family dog (lhaso apso) came down with this last summer, we all thought that was the end of her. Family came by to pay their good byes. Since we didnt know what the heck was wrong. Turns out it was this. She was 14 at the time, now 15. She didnt walk well at all for the first month and a half. took her I want to say 3 weeks to regain any type of balance to walk or sit. She is back to her old spunky self now. She too is a very young dog health wise. goes for atleast a hour walk daily. She is back to her self, running,playing, playing ball ect. She still has a head tilt. but thats the only thing "wrong" with her now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts