Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is with the desigher dog breeds? In my opion you are getting a mutt, on purpose. Why pay so much for one? just because they "don't shed"? or you "don't want a poodle but want a no-shed dog"?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think your opinion on this matter is absurd.

Where did you get your Aussie? How about your Chocolate Lab? If you paid for them why did you pay for your mutts when you could have easily gotten similar at a shelter?

Is it spring break somewhere in the USA right now?:popcorn:

SOB

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My sisters both go on Spring break next week. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't buy my lab, a friend of mine didn't want him so i took him in. My aussie i got from a responsible breeder, yes i could have gone to the shelter and gotten a aussie but i wanted a show dog.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I didn't buy my lab, a friend of mine didn't want him so i took him in. My aussie i got from a responsible breeder, yes i could have gone to the shelter and gotten a aussie but i wanted a show dog.
Well, I wanted to buy mutts, and that's what I did, on purpose. Actually a lot more thought and research went into it than that, but that is what it boils down to. Mine are shedding though because I don't like bearded scruffy coats and I do like the coat of shedding dogs better. One of mine REALLY reminds me of an Aussie, but she is more laid back and has a great off switch. She is also only 12 pounds. She is perfect for me. I don't need to show her to know that but if you like to be involved in the community that is the show world, good for you. Some find it fun.

SOB

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
How does a dogs bloodline being "pure" make it any more or less valuable than a dog with a mixed bloodline? I would sure hope the value would be in the care put into the breeding.

How do you measure purity? You have an Aussie just like me, you (and me) are the LAST person who should be talking about "pure" bloodlines! Our breed has only 10 "pure" full generations into it. Our breed very much used to be scoffed at by the "purebred" community as ranch mongrels with bobbed tails, the way you are scoffing now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What is with the desigher dog breeds? In my opion you are getting a mutt, on purpose. Why pay so much for one? just because they "don't shed"? or you "don't want a poodle but want a no-shed dog"?
You're opening a can of worms on this one... Seriously...

Why do people spend $50,000k on a car that does little more than the $20,000 car? Some, because they want to be able to claim that they have THE car. Others, simply because that's what they WANT and nothing other than that particular car, despite the cost, will fulfill their desires. And others may have actually gone down the list details and specifics and discovered that, costs aside, that car fits them better than any other.

Why do some people absolutely want a purebred Boxer? Or a Great Dane? Or Dalmations?

Why do some people choose to pay outrageous amounts for a dog at all, when you can go to shelters and rescues and find wonderful, loving dogs in need of a home for what amounts to next to nothing?

You asked the wrong question, or perhaps you just asked it the wrong way. People want what they want. If you shared how much you paid for your purebred, "show" quality Aussie, I'd probably ask you why you spent such an outlandish amount on a dog that, in the eyes of some people, may have been bred, responsibly or not, by someone with the primary objective of making money off of each puppy. All I'm saying is that there is a questioning opinion for all of it.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts

Why do people spend $50,000k on a car that does little more than the $20,000 car? Some, because they want to be able to claim that they have THE car. Others, simply because that's what they WANT and nothing other than that particular car, despite the cost, will fulfill their desires. And others may have actually gone down the list details and specifics and discovered that, costs aside, that car fits them better than any other.

Why do some people absolutely want a purebred Boxer? Or a Great Dane? Or Dalmations?

Why do some people choose to pay outrageous amounts for a dog at all, when you can go to shelters and rescues and find wonderful, loving dogs in need of a home for what amounts to next to nothing?

You asked the wrong question, or perhaps you just asked it the wrong way. People want what they want. If you shared how much you paid for your purebred, "show" quality Aussie, I'd probably ask you why you spent such an outlandish amount on a dog that, in the eyes of some people, may have been bred, responsibly or not, by someone with the primary objective of making money off of each puppy. All I'm saying is that there is a questioning opinion for all of it.
I've seen as many $3,000 mixed breeds and $50 mixed breeds as I've seen $3,000 purebreds and $50 purebreds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with something or reiterating/agreeing, but that's my exact point. People want what people want, and though others may not agreeing, when it comes down to the simplest of terms it's supply and demand. I don't fault any breeder for what they're producing or what they're charging (not saying I AGREE with all of them) because if people want it and are willing to pay, SOMEONE will produce it. These isn't just in regards to dogs nor does it exclude dogs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To each their own, is right.

As long as the breeder is responsible, should it matter if the dogs are "mixed" or "purebred"? You get the dog that you want. Some pay more than others.

Personally, I am a rescue-dog "person". My pooch is a mastiff/rottie/lab (or something... hah!) mix. I PERSONALLY will always own a "mix" dog. BUT, there's no way I'd pay thousands for him. The shelter works for me. In fact, he was "free".

I don't agree or disagree. I've seen what happens to dogs that were bred irresponsibly and unethically (as I'm sure many/all of you are aware of) and they are filled with disease and problems. It's such a sin there are some people that just don't breed properly. Hopefully these people will eventually be weeded out. But, for now, all you can do is try to educate yourself before buying. I do, however, have to disagree with "backyard breeders" that produce multibreed puppies in which they charge thousands for. That, to me, is absurd. I hope I'm not alone on that one!!! Sorry, off on a controversial tangent. Don't mind me!

If it's a poodle you want, or a goldendoodle... whatever! Get the dog that YOU will LOVE!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your opinions. some of them i never really thought of before. It is good to know all sides of an opinion.

But i still don't get why the mutts or purebreeds are to be priced so high. I mean high of $2,000-$3,000. I am not talking about the $600 puppy.

Aren't breeders supposed to better the breed? (or designer breed) make healthier puppies? YES! Am i right? Breeders aren't supposed to make bucks, i was told they make minus. Breeding dogs is not cheap, if you try to have the best for your dog. Best food, best care.... (NOTE- I do not breed dogs, but i know lots who do)

I under stand why good pups breed by good breeders cost a lot, but $2,000 is insane, for a non-show, non-pedigreed dog that comes from a huge kennel that doesn't health check their dogs. Good breeders don't price their pups to cheap because the price you pay shows you actually care that you want a good dog. but why not price the pups just to cover the cost of the care? I know $3,000 is way over the cost it took to feed the pup for 8 weeks, buy toys, bedding.....

Shelter dogs i have heard range from free-$500, (the $500 dollar one included all puppy shots). Why are these dogs so much cheaper than the $3,000 non-show, unhealthy pup? The shelter people do it as an act of LOVE! They want a the dog to find a forever home. I have great respect for shelter/recuse people. (NOTE- this dose not include HSUS or PETA!!!)

Isn't breeding supposed to be out of love for a breed (or designer breed)? An act of love, to make healthier dogs? Not to make a buck?

If i ever breed my dogs, i won't until i totally understand the genetic game,(witch wont be for a while) health check the parents, (OFA good or excellent, CERF cleared yearly, ect.), and have good temperament.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

My show aussie didn't cost $3,000 dollars or anything close, maybe because of the co-own agreement? but i know lots of breeders who price thier pups just enough to cover the cost of care. and it is NoT $3,000 even if they are pedigreed champion with good health.

·
Super Moderator
11,844 Posts
But i still don't get why the mutts or purebreeds are to be priced so high. I mean high of $2,000-$3,000
Sellers will charge whatever buyers are willing to pay. It's not that complicated.

Truly, if I found myself with a litter of, say, Plottweilers (I made that up, but they'd be very appealing puppies as long as your furniture is all stainless steel) and I could sell them for $2,000 each, I would be unlikely to say to myself, "That's immoral. I should sell them for what they actually cost me."

I'm an old retailer, so profits are not immoral. Selling mixed-breed puppies for $2,000 isn't immoral. What's immoral is bringing puppies into the world that you may not be able to find homes for at all.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It seems like an "unhealthy" "non-show" puppy would come from a BYB no? Or at least a bad litter from an otherwise responsible breeder. You'd either have to be uninformed or ignorant to make such a purchase, imo. I also have to ask, how much does it cost to do all the genetic testing and getting the parent tested for OFA/CERF/other things I have no idea about? I'm sure that's where part of the price of the puppy comes in. So, to the breeders of the forum, or those with connections, how much does say one litter typically cost between food, shots, testing the parents, other expenses?

Also to your initial post: IMHO purchasing a the dog you wanted and then asking why someone else would pay good money for the dog they wanted is a bit hypocritical.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How does a dogs bloodline being "pure" make it any more or less valuable than a dog with a mixed bloodline? I would sure hope the value would be in the care put into the breeding.

How do you measure purity? You have an Aussie just like me, you (and me) are the LAST person who should be talking about "pure" bloodlines! Our breed has only 10 "pure" full generations into it. Our breed very much used to be scoffed at by the "purebred" community as ranch mongrels with bobbed tails, the way you are scoffing now.
Them ranch mongrels with a bobed tail (current aussies) worked. they herded sheep, helped ranchers. What would a rancher be without his beloved aussie? The aussie back then had a purpose, and that purpose is beginning to be forgotten among the show aussie today. Which makes me very sad.

What is a herding breed who can't herd sheep but wins all to many ribbons instead? Or a sporting breed for can't point birds because it's owners thought winning the big red, white and blue was more important? The desinger breeds main purpose is PET. Which is ok, as long as the dog is not from a puppy mill.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems like an "unhealthy" "non-show" puppy would come from a BYB no? Or at least a bad litter from an otherwise responsible breeder. You'd either have to be uninformed or ignorant to make such a purchase, imo. I also have to ask, how much does it cost to do all the genetic testing and getting the parent tested for OFA/CERF/other things I have no idea about? I'm sure that's where part of the price of the puppy comes in. So, to the breeders of the forum, or those with connections, how much does say one litter typically cost between food, shots, testing the parents, other expenses?

Also to your initial post: IMHO purchasing a the dog you wanted and then asking why someone else would pay good money for the dog they wanted is a bit hypocritical.
I understand why people would pay good money for a healthy pup. Yes it dose seem like an unhealthy non show pup would come from a BYB. then to make it worse they would charge $2,000 for what? an unhealthy dog. just so they can get the new sofa they have been wanting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sellers will charge whatever buyers are willing to pay. It's not that complicated.

Truly, if I found myself with a litter of, say, Plottweilers (I made that up, but they'd be very appealing puppies as long as your furniture is all stainless steel) and I could sell them for $2,000 each, I would be unlikely to say to myself, "That's immoral. I should sell them for what they actually cost me."

I'm an old retailer, so profits are not immoral. Selling mixed-breed puppies for $2,000 isn't immoral. What's immoral is bringing puppies into the world that you may not be able to find homes for at all.
RonE you have a good point. But i have to disagree on the profit part. breeding is for the love of the breed. charge only what is cost to cover it. shelters charge $250 for a pup who probally got a few shots, ate a weeks worth of food, consumed time.... I am sure the shelter lost money on that pup, but they didn't for the love of rescuing.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I currently have a mix pup (mal/Dutch) that when finished will he listed for probably $2000. Why? Because after all the expense and time, training, certifications, by the time she is two, I'll do a little better than break even. She is in training for tracking, narcotics, and apprehension. Hopefully when done, she can take that criminal down, drugs off the street, and track the Guy that beat his wife and child and ran after a car chase. Its worth it to some.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts