Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tumblr, twitter and facebook users are obsessed with designer breeds.
However there is a lot of misinformation floating around about the most recent obsessions.

Have you seen this image?
This has started a huge obession with people wanting to buy a "Pomsky" despite the image neither being a Pomsky or providing correct information about a true Husky Pomeranian mix.
The first clue being a dog that doesn't grow?
For the size of a mix breed you can take the weight of both parents and add them together.
Female Pomsky : 19-28.5lbs
Male Pomsky : 25-33.5lbs
Because of the recent internet popularity Pomskies and being sold for $2500-3000 (that's equal to/more than a purebred).

Popular Designer breeds in the 90s and 00s

Cavachon : Bichon Frise + King Chalres Cavalier Spaniel
*loses hypoallergenic coat in second generation breeding
*$600-1000

Chiweenie : Dachshund + Chihuahua
*$400

Chorkie : Chihuahua + Yorkshire Terrier
*$400-800

Goldendoodle : Golden Retriever + Poodle
*Coat type (Golden, Poodle, or a mix) can vary between littermates
*Second generations have increased health issues
*$700-1300

Labradoodle : Labrador Retriever + Poodle
*Second generations+ can retain the basic breed characteristics
*Coat types vary (hair, fleece, wool)
*$800-2500

Puggle : Pug + Beagle
*Second generations have increased health issues
*$200-1000

What do you think of designer breeds?
Should they be as expensive as pure breeds?

·
Registered
404 Posts
In my opinion: A mutt is a mutt.
I remember when people were giving away mixed breed puppies, because they weren't purebred. Now it's "Our Lab mated with a Husky German Shepherd mix, and well....Don't you want a German Labsky for $500!?"...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My mother has a Chinoodle (japanese chin x poodle)
Since year 1 we have been placing bets on when it's going to kick the bucket. The dog is falling apart, and mom swears that she has "papers".
I know the betting sounds mean but really how is that dog still alive?
Honestly mom could have bought a well bred Shih-tzu or a well bred Jap Chin for cheaper and the dog would have been healthier and proportional.

I feel bad for the dog

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think the Pomsky is a Pomeranian/Klee Kai mix. i thought i was a purest but
i like some of the designer dogs.
Apparently it's a Finnish Lapphund puppy.
(the dog in the 'Pomsky' picture)

My mother has a Chinoodle (japanese chin x poodle)
Since year 1 we have been placing bets on when it's going to kick the bucket. The dog is falling apart, and mom swears that she has "papers".
I know the betting sounds mean but really how is that dog still alive?
Honestly mom could have bought a well bred Shih-tzu or a well bred Jap Chin for cheaper and the dog would have been healthier and proportional.

I feel bad for the dog
I wish I could see a picture, I can hardly imagine that combination.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's hardly a new thing---my dad's family had a Cockapoo back in the '50s. I think there was some kind of stigma against having a purebred because it would mean you were stuck up or something. Or that's how my grandma made it sound. I don't know if the mixed pups cost less than a purebred or not.

I can see a lot of reasons for mixing. I would like a Cavalier (well, I think my mom should have a Cav :p) but the health problems scare me. A Cav/Cocker mix might be acceptable. Or Cav/Poodle because why not. Anyway, something else mixed in to minimize the risk of the genetic health problems. I'm not really all about keeping breeds pure or anything like that anyway. Whatever people want as long as they treat their animals ethically. I do think there's some dishonest marketing involved but that can be true of purebred breeders as well.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You know what, I personally do not have a problem with "Designer Breeds" as long as they're health tested and the breeder screens their potential puppy owners. Like, if they take the exact same steps a pure bred breeder takes when breeding to produce healthy pups.

For example, yesterday, I saw a sticker on the back of a truck on the way to the dump that read "I love my {insert breeder establishment} Goldendoodle" and I had my smart phone with me and Google'd that breeder faster than you could blink. rofl The breeder also bred Bernerdoodles (Bernese Mountain Dogs X Poodles). To my surprise, ALL the dogs had hips and elbows OFA'd (with a link to the actual certificate), they were CERF'd, some had thyroid screenings and heart screenings. They were fed high quality food. I wasn't able to look more into them (we were at the dump getting rid of garbage lmao) but man, colour me impressed. I didn't see price but IF I wanted a puppy from a breeder like them, I would expect and be willing to pay up to $1000 or more.

Paying that price for some mix with NO health testing or anything above... No. Would not do that and do not support that.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
My guy is a "designer breed"
I had someone come up to me one day and say "Wow... he must have been really expensive!" (Nope.. free.)
I've also had a girl at the dog park ask if I would breed him to her poodle... Uh.. 1. No 2. He's neutered.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i find it hard to believe a Husky and a Pomeranian can mate. i guess it can be done artificially.

i think the Pomsky is a Pomeranian/Klee Kai mix. i thought i was a purest but
i like some of the designer dogs.
A pomsky is a pom husky mix. I doubt you'd find any significant number of breeders breeding klee kais willy nilly to other random breeds.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
i find it hard to believe a Husky and a Pomeranian can mate. i guess it can be done artificially.
It doesn't have to be done artificially. A small dog can tie ANY size female dog with the female's cooperation. I actually saw a pom tied to a (LARGE, 70+ bigger than a husky by far) pit mix. All the female has to do is lie down. Done deal.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
The photo of the pomsky is a finnish lapphund puppy.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Eh.... There is thoughtful and responsible breeding and tossing two dogs together for fluffies. Either can be done with both purebreds and mixes.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I dont really care as long as they do what other good breeders do (health test and take back their dogs) BUT it does annoy me when they make lies about the dogs, aka labradoodles are hypoallergenic or stuff along that line. That's just blatant misrepresentation.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I had several people post that "Pomsky" on my facebook feed a few months back. I had to burst their bubble it was a Finnish Lapphund puppy, and nobody said a word after that. I don't understand the Pomsky thing. They don't look like little mini huskies most of the time, they aren't hypoallergenic and that sounds like a super vocal mix. I can't believe people are paying upwards of $3500 for them. Heck, I could snatch up the first unfixed Pom and Husky I find at the shelter and make a fortune. Too bad I have morals.

To each their own though. If they are being responsible breeders, meh. Most of them are not though.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts