Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey pals!

My little guy, Denzel (toy fox terrier mix), has been the sweetest dog since I got him 4 months ago. He's always been a bit possessive over his food and toys (which I intend to correct), but lately he's been growling and snapping out of nowhere while being pet.

He used to have mange, though that's all cleared up. Though I do wonder if it has anything to do with his skin. He gets a lot of exercise - about a 30-45 minute walk in the morning and short walks in the afternoon and at night. He also runs around a lot at home, at the park, or if he is at daycare.

The growling when being pet is new, so I don't know what's up. Here is a video of his behavior while being pet (ignore my morning walk look). This only started happening recently. [video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8975121/GrowlingDenzel.mov[/video]

THANKS!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Hi and welcome to Dog Forums!

Growling generally means the dog is uncomfortable with whatever is happening. He could be scared of something; he could be in pain; he could be uneasy with something about the situation. I couldn't see your video, can you describe exactly what is happening when he growls?

Are there toys, treats, or food in the area? If so, it could be resource guarding (which you're already aware of).

Is he sleeping before you pet him? Most dogs don't like to be disturbed while they sleep.

How old is he? Could he be in pain (e.g., arthritis, injury) or losing his hearing or vision so that it seems as if you are sneaking up on him? In that case, a vet check would be the best option.

Since you mentioned that he has an issue with resource guarding, here is a good guide: Resource Guarding: Treatment and Prevention

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Cookieface!

There is not food or toys around when he growls sometimes. He's also just over a year old. I have a vet appointment on Monday to look into it - maybe there is something internal that's bugging him. In that video, I'm just petting him on his side, which he normally loves. And yes, he is awake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts