Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

One of my dogs has food allergies. He is currently (and has been for 5 years) on Nutro's Lamb and Brown rice kibble, and doing very well on it. My other dog, can and does eat everything (her days are clocked by her meals). Because of that, she's on a weight management diet. Both dogs get a nightly treat of carrots and one the weekends or at the vets, they get marshmallows (the vet said marshmallows are good for dogs with allergies).

I need to know if anyone knows of a dental bone for my dog with allergies. I brush his teeth 4 -5 times a week and most of the time he tolerates it, barely. The other day, I got a nice dent in my thumb when he got fed up and nipped me. I tried using dental bones for him, one made from potatoes, but he got sick from that.

Any Suggestions???

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Durable Nylabones might work. They are synthetic and not digestible, the small bits of nylon that are removed from chewing and scraping are passed through the dog's system.
Some dogs love them, some hate them, some love them but get their gums all cut up on them.

Raw meaty bones of an animal protein that he tolerates might work. Not smoked bones, not cooked bones. Not weight bearing bones from large mammals. Note that raw bones are often a VERY high value treat to dogs and care should be taken to avoid a situation where dogs can fight over the bone or where a dog resouce guards the bone against a human (or another dog).

A water additive might work if the ve thinks the dog is particularly prone to dental issues and needs it.

Lastly, if the trade off for having a dental chew is a negative digestive or body reaction, then just don't worry about dental chews. Brush when you can, encourage plenty of water drinking to keep mouth clean and when/if a veterinary dental cleaning is needed then have a full dental done under anesthetics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts