Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Beau from an animal shelter last March. He's 3 years old, we're not sure what breed he is, but he's built like a retriever, but with short orange hair.

ANYWAY, after we got Beau, our family fell in love with him. He's calm when we're calm, and he's playful with the kids, and he LOVES attention. He'll sit there for hours with you as long as you're petting him; and when you stop, he'll push your hand on top of his head. GREAT DOG.

Alas, we can't figure out what to do with him when we go out. Beau had/has separation anxiety and whenever we would leave, Beau would go ballistic. He'd scratch up anything in sight. He even chewed up the metal handle to the door in the laundry room where we kept him. He'd often pee and poop as well. We got some literature about separation anxiety and tried all the suggestions in them and we also tried puppy prozac. We'd try putting him in a kennel and putting it up against the wall so he couldn't get out, but that didn't change that he'd still pee and poop whenever we left.

We've tried rewarding him whenever he he goes outside, but he'll still poop in the house. We started leaving him outside in the yard without his leash when we left (we have an invisible fence installed) and it seemed to be okay for a while and he'd poop wherever in the yard. He seemed happier outside. But then we planted new grass and we couldnt have him outside running in it. We tried staking him out back with a leash, but he'd just tear up the grass. We've tried tying him up on the patio, but he'd just pee and poop there. We figured he might be claustophobic, so we got a a big cage with thinner bars on all sides and on top so he wouldn't feel so confined, but he'd STILL pee and poop.

We dont know what to do, my wife is tired of cleaning up poop off of the carpet, and she's wanting to get rid of him. We don't want to let him loose in the house while we're gone for fear that he might tear up everything. Please help me figure out what to do. We love this dog and he's great with the kids; I would really love to keep him around.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SA is really hard to deal with, from what I've read, many people have this problem with their dogs. Sorry the prozac didn't work!

If he seemed happiest when you left him outside...maybe just cut your losses with the new grass? Is the grass really worth it?
Just a thought...

There are some good trainers on this forum and I'm sure someone will pipe in with some more helpful suggestions, just wanted to give you a response to let you know someone is listening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we re-landscaped half our yard, so we need the grass to grow. Also, since winter is coming up soon, we won't be able to leave him outside anyways with all the snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
we actually have a concrete pad slab in our backyard, we tried tying him up to the basketball hoop with enough slack so that he didnt get into the grass. He pooped on the concrete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, i suppose it kind of is. we usually take him out before we leave, and we still have the same problem.

but i think maybe that the pooping is part of his freakouts, so its also a "what to do with my crazy-ass dog while i'm away" type of question.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Would it possibly help to hire a walker to come in the afternoon while your at work? To make the alone part not so long? Maybe if someone came after a couple of hours of being alone and gave him a real good RUN to tire him out? Maybe then he would nap until you came home. It's good you walk him first, but some dogs just need more HARD exercise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, my wife stays at home and the kids are usually home by 3, so Beau's never alone for more than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
we actually have a concrete pad slab in our backyard, we tried tying him up to the basketball hoop with enough slack so that he didnt get into the grass. He pooped on the concrete.
Is it bad that he pooped on the concrete?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts