Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My American Bulldog puppy that is 5 months old today is being treated with Ivermectin for demodetic mange. She was unfortunate enough to get parvo ONE DAY before her last 7 in 1 vaccine and the strain on her immune system was compromised.
We were told by vet when they tested her for the Parvo that they also found the demodetic mange mite in a stool specimen. However, they would not treat it until she recovered from the parvo/IF she recovered.
So by the time she was well enough to treat the mange she had it bad. She lost most of her hair and looked like she'd spent a week at the beach w/out sunscrean!
She just finished her antibiotics for any underlying infection caused by the demodex and is on a graduating dose of Ivermectin 1%, just completing her first week of treatment.
It was recommended that I bathe her in antifungal shampoo. I have done that.
My question is that the redness of her skin has turned to a brownish/gray and is quite dry and itchy.
I have given her benadryl for the itching but, and this is finally my question:
Is there something I can appy to her skin that will make it not so dry? I know no hydrocortisone cream but was wondering if a cream with Tea Tree Oil might help if applied to her skin? She doesn't have any sores left. She is just left with this brownish/gray very dry and itchy skin.
Advice would be most helpful!
Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
Lavender oil and/or Coconut oil, either full strength or diluted with witch hazel or water, sprayed generously over affected areas 2x a day should help. Also if you want to use tea tree oil Earthbath has a product that contains tea tree oil and aloe vera which has been proven safe to use on both animals and humans.

Edit to add: adding fish oil supplements to his/her diet may help as well. My Labx (who has severely dry skin due to allergies) at 120 lbs gets 500mgs a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for warning about tea tree oil. I won't make that mistake now.
I will try lavender and or coconut oil (she'll smell good too!). She already takes fish oil daily. I just give her the capsule and she thinks it's a treat!
I really appreciate everyone's advice, thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts