Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Dilly Delly is in season (so it seems...looks like a bit of swelling is starting)...probably day 2, so the house isn't in an uproar yet.

I e-mailed the co-owner today and she left it up to me whether or not to breed this heat cycle, and I opted not to.

She's not UTD on shots (Distemper etc, that'll be done soon...they shoulda been done before she came >.<), and I don't feel comfortable with her carrying a litter when she's so skinny (That would be the primary reason for waiting another four months).

So, it looks like we're going to be having late late winter/early spring puppies. She should come into season again around October/November, breed her then whelp January/February with puppies going home in April (maybe May?) (if I've done my math right...my math skills are seriously poor).

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
As much as we would all love to see your first litter, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with, and your decision seems to make sense. Jan/Feb puppies are wonderful too! Hooray!

PS. Do you have a website? I'd love to see it. PM me the address if you'd rather not advertise it.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pm'd it to you :)

If she were in better weight, I think she'd be bred this heat. Her physical condition in terms of muscle tone and what not are just fine, but I can't have a litter of 2-12 puppies feeding off a 60 pound bitch that should be 6-8 pounds heavier.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Delphi is 2. She'll be 3 on August 17th. Tag will be 9 this month

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Boys don't have to- there were still occasional live-cover litters being bred from a prominant Cardigan sire as late as 15, or so I have been told. (he's 17 now and still getting around pretty good.) Fertility goes WAY down but it's not BAD for them or anything.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An East German GSD, Asko von der Lutter, did a live cover at age 13 that I believe resulted in 7-9 puppies. He died not too long after the breeding, but he was still fertile and the puppies were viable and extremely strong when born.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts