Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each time I come home, my new (6 weeks) 1 year old rescue gets absolutely delirious...jumping, running, skidding across the floor, always coming right back to me where he reaches out a paw to touch me. (I've been training him not to jump because that is what he used to do. He's trying really hard but will now go behind me to jump up occassionally.)
Anyhow, he acts as if he's just beside himself with joy which is all nice except for the first 3-5 minutes I get home he is totally out of control and makes it hard for me to move around.
Will this settle down as he lives with us longer? It really seems to be getting worse than it was at first.
He doesn't do this with anyone else.
I've tried having treats ready to distract him, but he ignores them or takes them then drops them to race around me some more.
Any ideas?
Cinder

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Be really boring when you get home. Let him out the door if he needs to use the yard (or leash up without any fanfare) but no praise, no "yay, I'm home", no treats. Ask for a SIT before opening the door or putting on the leash

Then once he's calmed down after 5 or 10 minutes, you can "say hello" and give a treat or go play outside or whatever fun thing.

If you are consistent with ignoring jumping and racing, expecting a sit before going outside and basically not making a big deal out of coming home, he should start to get the idea and calm down.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Normally I agree with Shell, but try this 2 - 3 times, and if it doesn't work, go back to Shell and forget that I wrote this :)
1. When you come home, kneel down to greet him and ask him to Sit, and give him some attention.
2. If he runs some and then paws you, that sounds like progress towards calming down.
3. If he gets more excited or he jumps on you... do what Shell wrote.

He's been cooped up, alone, all day... and he's just been rescued, so he's happy to have attention... If this is the case then he will calm as he gets more confidence in his home and in your routine. But, it doesn't hurt to teach him the rules.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts