Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the ticks weren't bad enough, the deerflies are in full force this year! The garlic tabs help with the ticks, but ain't nothin' keeping those flies off my poor Bella!

When they bite, she gets huge welts. Last week one got her good on the nose and she ended up looking like a bull terrier. Another time she looked like Rocky Balboa with her eyelids all swollen up.

I try to get them off before they can bite her, but they are sneaky little jerks...I think they work as a team. One will be flying around my head and I'll be busy trying to smack it off my head (without giving myself a concussion) :doh: and the other will take the easy target.

Any ideas to keep them off her?

If it's bad enough I'll give her a Benedryl after I scrub the area w/wet cloth. Poor baby.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
There is a roll on fly repellent for horses that works great. May leave them a little greasy. They tear me up too. Between the ticks, fleas, flies, and mosquitoes, and the resistant heartworms, I am ready to go somewhere cold.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
There is a roll on fly repellent for horses that works great. May leave them a little greasy. They tear me up too. Between the ticks, fleas, flies, and mosquitoes, and the resistant heartworms, I am ready to go somewhere cold.
Yes I have used a horse product from Farnam called Wipe (I think)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know how awful those flies can be. They just tear the horses up. Try horse fly spray(dilute way more for dogs than horses). Just suggestion. Normal bug spray may work as well. I have heard K9 advantex also works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts