Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog came in with deer ticks the other day (Monday) and I just saw them today as they are engorged and she plucked about 60 of them off on my bed. What do I do next? Should I burn everything? I washed all the rugs and the blankets and the sheets, I have no carpeting, but I swept and vacuumed, checked both dogs and haven't found any more.

In 6 weeks both are going to get tested for Lyme and tomorrow I'll be picking up a prescription strength flea/tick medication. What else should I do?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Deer ticks can't live or breed inside your house. As long as you pick them up and vacuum them up you'll be fine. I've had them all over my bedroom floor before (tick collar killed them and they fell off my dog at night) and never had a long term problem. They are also easily killed by dessication, so running any clothes and sheets through the dryer will take care of them. Generally our homes are much too dry for their ideal living conditions, which is why they can't make your bedroom their new habitat.

Lyme testing is a good idea. Keep in mind that lots and lots of dogs test positive without ever getting symptoms. The test is looking for exposure to the disease, but lots of dogs have been exposed without actually getting sick. I would not treat Lyme in a dog who had no other symptoms. People are a different story.

A good tick medicine will make your life much easier. My dogs are on Vectra3D and I really like it. Previously, with a different med, I was pulling off 20 per day from my adult dog. Now I haven't seen one in months, and I live in one of the most tick infested parts of the country.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I get the Lyme vaccine for Zoey as well as using Frontline. There is a new medicine called Bravecto that people are using that they claim to work pretty well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've taken both dogs off flea/tick medication because it hasn't been working. I am going to head to the vet and get Bravecto, and keep them on that from now on. The other dog is black, so I can't find anything on him and so far nothing has come off. I called Terminix and they said when the ticks come off they immediately start laying eggs? I'm not sure how much I trust them... think I'd be okay to wait and see if I see any crawling around? I've literally washed everything over and over again the past two days so I'm hoping that wiped out the problem.

The dog that brought all the ticks in does also get a Lyme vaccine.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I've taken both dogs off flea/tick medication because it hasn't been working. I am going to head to the vet and get Bravecto, and keep them on that from now on. The other dog is black, so I can't find anything on him and so far nothing has come off. I called Terminix and they said when the ticks come off they immediately start laying eggs? I'm not sure how much I trust them... think I'd be okay to wait and see if I see any crawling around? I've literally washed everything over and over again the past two days so I'm hoping that wiped out the problem.

The dog that brought all the ticks in does also get a Lyme vaccine.
Only specific tick species can reproduce inside a house. Deer ticks are not one of them.

As far as the vaccine goes, I do get it for my dogs. However, one of mine also got Lyme whole on the vaccine. The company paid for his testing and treatment which was nice.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts