Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Sunday morning on our walk I run into one of my neighbors I haven't seen for a few days and we sit down on some logs to chat. He updates me on how is older dog is coming along in her "ACL" surgery recovery and that she'll likely have to have the plate removed due to her body rejecting it. The bone is healed nicely so it's just the added recovery time of the plate removal and how odd it is that she didn't have this issue with her previous surgery on her other leg.

As we chat the dogs all mill around saying hi to each other and getting attention from us Jubel wanders behind me and I'm just loosely hold his leash in my hand. Suddenly some deer run by in the woods behind us and Jubel is off like a shot after the deer, bruising the hell out of my right hand in the process. I'm black and blue from the joint below the nail on my thumb, down to my wrist, and back up to the knuckle at the end of my palm to my index finger. Thankfully it doesn't hurt too badly as of today just looks horrible.

This did answer the question I'd long pondered but never wanted to test. What WOULD Jubel do if he got the chase after any of the deer we frequently run into in the park? I'm quite happy to report that on the second or third (not positive as my neighbor was calling out to him as well) call of his name he turned around and came racing back. Now if he got away after a rabbit... I think he'd keep running until one of them was dead, deer aren't as enticing as the rabbits are. Duncan the foster pretty much did was I somewhat expected as his leash got dropped in the commotion as well, he just stood there like nothing was happening. I'm pretty sure Duncan is an orbiter and has no intention of ever going very far even given the option, not that I want to test that idea.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Kira's brother and sister actually did this years ago, not the bruising of his owner's hand though. He was on the property of where he works, they allow employees to let their dogs run off leash. And the two dogs shot off after something, he didn't know at first that it was a deer. He called for them, and luckily Maya came back but Remy was nowhere to be found, so he kept calling and walking towards the wooded part. Eventually Remy made his way back, and with a lovely present of a dead large doe, dragging it in his mouth. Unfortunately he could not take it off the property, federal govt grounds and not deer season.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Owwwweeee!!! I bet that was a surprise! I have not had that pleasure yet as I live in the woods filled with deer. I had better knock on wood! I think it would be way worse than a bruised hand in my case ...........

I am glad Jubel came back! I don't know of anyone whose dog has experienced this ... personally.

Hope your hand heals quickly! :)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
K Eventually Remy made his way back, and with a lovely present of a dead large doe, dragging it in his mouth.
Holy crap!

The only times my dogs have encountered deer so far, we've been mushing and I have brakes and my body weight to enforce a "leave it". I actually prefer to come upon deer rather than squirrels or other small things as these are park deer used to people and unless you startle them at close range they will usually stop and watch you for awhile, then amble off instead of darting off. I have plenty of time to notice them and prepare, unlike a squirrel darting across the trail at the last second.

Squash did recall off of chasing a heron down the beach while off leash a couple of weeks ago. I was kind of startled and kind of proud. :D

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Holy crap!
Yeah, but not surprising to me, Remy is a large male weimaraner, top of the standard, with substantial bone and lots of muscle, may have a picture on my computer somewhere of him. Now if it was Maya that brought back the doe, that would be surprising as she is on the petite side.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha I was most relieve over Jubel coming back quickly on his own due to the heat and not wanting to have to track him down as I was already sweating like crazy just sitting around chatting around 9am. Very greatfull for the rain that came in later that afternoon and cooled everything off from 100º+ days to mid 80s lower 90s for the rest of the week. But yeah even before possible concerns over his safety I was first happy not to have to find him in the heat. Though the only time he's truly run off, pretty sure he chased a critter then too, he went home on his own. I spent about 20 minutes walking around the park looking and calling for him before going home to start making phone calls to organize a search, he was sitting at the front door waiting for me. I take comfort in the fact that he knows the park very well and how to get home but he doesn't have any street sense and is still at risk of getting hit by a car in my neighborhood.

We run into deer all the time in the park, sometimes they just stay put and sometimes they run off. Jubel's reaction usually depends on if they run or not combined with how close they are. Deer are usually just moderately interesting, squirrels if they dart by really close, chipmunks very interested, rabbits = OMG, OMG, OMG.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah I am so glad for the rain too, that heat was murder. Just glad we aren't getting the damage like a couple weeks ago, still people in my area without power.

We get all kinds of critters around my area, lately there have been some huge turkey vultures. I was on a run with BB one day, and there was one sitting on a fence, BB spotted it and started to stalk it, it flew off to another part of the fence, but once it saw were will still coming it flew off into the woods. BB wanted to sniff the area.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha this happened again on Sunday but without the injury to my hand at least. One of the dogs that lives in the area was out loose. Jubel isn't overly fond of this dog due to their first few meetings. Jubel was walking nicely on leash with me and Whiskey (the loose dog) ran by from out of now where and gave Jubel a little nip on his way by. This happened twice. Another time Whiskey was leashed and Jubel and I were walking with his buddy Beau (plott hound) who hates Whiskey. Beau has been subject to Whiskey's run by nippings hundreds of times over the years. So Jubel saw his buddy Beau really not liking Whiskey on top of his prior negative meetings with Whiskey, end result Jubel just isn't a fan of Whiskey but isn't aggressive with him the few times they've run into each other recently.

On Sunday Whiskey was out loose and came running across the field at the park over to us (Jubel, Duncan, Rain [belgian shepherd], Woody [westie], Claira [sky terrier], and their people). I was busy keeping Jubel and Duncan under control, Duncan was getting worked up because Jubel was worked up. They actually greeted somewhat nicely and I relaxed. Apparently while I was distracted by Whiskey a deer had wandered out of the woods across the field. I was readjusting the leashes in my hands and Jubel noticed Claira running after the deer the second I had his leash looped around the end of just two fingers and bolted. Thankfully again he chased after the deer into the woods and about 30 seconds later came sprinting right back over to me. It's great exercise but I'd hate to think of the damaged he'd come to if he managed to catch a deer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts