Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know someone (a farmer, friend, coworker, neighbor) that has access to deer antlers? Finds them, process deer, works at a deer farm, whatever. Send me a message! Would love to talk to whoever can help and work with them! Especially with hunting season coming up.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
434 Posts
Contact your local butchers / processors. Sometimes the people don't want anything but the meat, others don't want anything but the mounts. So you could probably let the Processor know what kind of bones / scraps you'd be willing to buy off them or their customers. My family hunts, but we also pretty much all have dogs and keep/use the whole animal, rack and all...

But make it clear you're only interested in pretty fresh stuff (old antlers get really hard and can crack teeth), and nothing that has been chemically cleaned or glazed (which older mounted racks and racks prepared to mount may have been).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You might call up local gun stores and sporting goods stores to ask where people in your area get there deer butchered.
Im curious where all the points at pet stores (petco) come from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys good replies so far.

Took the first advice and called the butchers. They said call back during rifle season and maybe they might have some racks. As for pet smart and stuff my theory is that there is a lack of supply so they can charge whatever they want. There are a few antler warehouses out there but they look sketchy as all get out. Guess antlers just are hard to come by!! Maybe I'll just have to walk around in state parks and find them!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try Etsy....I have seen antlers on there before. The sellers are usually pretty responsive if you have more questions beyond what it is the description.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks guys good replies so far.

Took the first advice and called the butchers. They said call back during rifle season and maybe they might have some racks. As for pet smart and stuff my theory is that there is a lack of supply so they can charge whatever they want. There are a few antler warehouses out there but they look sketchy as all get out. Guess antlers just are hard to come by!! Maybe I'll just have to walk around in state parks and find them!

What sizes are you looking for?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably whole racks. I am going to cut them myself into various size for sale. I am hearing around $10/pound from the deer processors and butchers in the area. I would consider other options though, antlers are a big seller on our site!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts