Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 1/2 month old Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix. She is usually excited about food, but for the past few days, she doesn't eat when I put her food out. We feed her Purina One Puppy Large Breed at regular times twice a day. We don't overfeed treats - she gets a small treat when going into her crate and she gets a homemade Frosty Paw (just plain yogurt, peanut butter and banana - a little smaller than a hockey puck) 1-3 times per week. I am wondering if the heat is playing a factor in her decreased appetite. We live in central Pennsylvania and we keep our house at 74 degrees with ceiling fans running 24 hours a day. On weekdays, she's inside the house most of the time except for a 30-40 minute walk when it's not so hot. On the weekends, she's outside with us quite a bit, but we bring her inside and crate her so she can rest in the air conditioning for a break.

She will eventually eat her food, but she'll eat it over the course of several hours, instead of all in one shot like she used to. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
Heat, and reduced activity due to the heat (most dogs aren't as keen to run around or play on their own when it's hot, even if they're getting the same amount of walks), can definitely result in a lower appetite. That being said, a sudden and uncharacteristic change in eating habits can be an early sign of a medical problem, so it's worth keeping an eye out for any other behavior changes or symptoms that suggest something else might be going on. But unless you see something else worrying, or it seems to be getting worse/going on even when you get some cooler weather again, it could very well just be the heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts