Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran across something in the classifieds of my local paper:

3 mo. old female Rottweiler. Has shots, tail docked & declawed.

Ummm I've heard of declawing cats, but dogs??? Sounds so cruel. Is this common?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Actually I have read about people de-clawing their dogs also.. Seems pretty unnecessary.. something someone would probably only do if they were too lazy to keep the dogs nails trimmed. :(

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think they probably meant her dewclaws were removed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A dewclaw is a little toe on the back of the dogs leg. Nanuq is the only dog I've ever had that still has them. They are a pain. She hates to have the nails on them trimmed and they tend to catch on things. They are frequently removed when puppies are only a few days old. The dog in the add probably had them removed.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
A dewclaw is a little toe on the back of the dogs leg. Nanuq is the only dog I've ever had that still has them. They are a pain. She hates to have the nails on them trimmed and they tend to catch on things. They are frequently removed when puppies are only a few days old. The dog in the add probably had them removed.

actually, it is on the inside of the leg, not the back....the claw that is just a ways up from the foot on the inside is kinda like your thumb, but on a dog it doesn't really serve a purpose...altho, in Border Collies, they tend to "use" it, per se...it helps w/ their balance in turns and such....some dogs have them on the rear legs as well and these are generally more of a problem than the ones on the front....

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
This is a picture I just took of Jet's paw (my friends aussie) He was a rescue, and whoever bred him docked his tail (probably at home with a chisel and hammer because it's really badly done) but never took off his dewclaws.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
3 of my dogs still have dewclaws, but it's hard to see in pictures because of their feathering. The ones that have them actually do use them quite a bit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
do all dogs have them? im sure mine doesnt and the person i got him from would have mentioned it if theyed been removed!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
do all dogs have them? im sure mine doesnt and the person i got him from would have mentioned it if theyed been removed!
From what I understand, almost all dogs have front dewclaws when they're born. Some have back dewclaws too and certain breeds have multiple dewclaws. It's pretty much routine to get them removed when the pups are very young. I've never had a breeder really tell me specifically they removed them. Some breeds the dewclaws are required to be kept. In paps it's acceptable either way and my breeder did not remove dewclaws up until her last litter which is why 3 of our paps have them and one doesn't.

Here's some good reference pics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewclaws

·
Registered
183 Posts
had a look and not a dew claw in sight, no scaring or marking either so it doesnt look like theyve been removed. but who knows :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I'm quite sure they are referring to just the dewclaws being removed. Personally, I prefer it, but either way it's not a huge deal.

You can't see any evidence of a dew claw removal on the pups that had them removed. Ther'es just nothing there.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Unless the vet did a really hack job you probably won't see any scaring. Dewclaws are removed when pups are 0-5 days old. Typically breeders don't tell their puppy buyers that the dewclaws have been removed. It's usually assumed they were or not noticed/known about in the first place.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
like mentioned, when removed as pups there will should be no tell tale signs...according to my vet when asked once, all dogs have the front (unless a defect) but not all have the rear and some may have 2-3 on the rear (i think Pyrenees are one that are required to have 2 rear dews)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
had a look and not a dew claw in sight, no scaring or marking either so it doesnt look like theyve been removed. but who knows :)
My puppy Hawkeye had his dewclaws removed there is no mark no scar, and his breeder never told me she removed them, but I know they were removed because my breed is always born with front dewclaws and it's just normal procedure to get them removed, no big deal.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I just ran across something in the classifieds of my local paper:

3 mo. old female Rottweiler. Has shots, tail docked & declawed.

Ummm I've heard of declawing cats, but dogs??? Sounds so cruel. Is this common?
I too would assume this means dewclaws are removed but who knows. Is this a person selling a dog or trying to re home a pet they adopted? I would like to think that someone that breeds for profit would at least know the proper terminology but then..... so many do not. :(

I am hoping it is not a breeder as shots, tails and dewclaws is minimal and nothing to brag about. If you are looking for a Rottie, I would NOT recommend the classified section of your local paper. Not a good route to go for a breed with an already tarnished reputation.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I too would assume this means dewclaws are removed but who knows. Is this a person selling a dog or trying to re home a pet they adopted? I would like to think that someone that breeds for profit would at least know the proper terminology but then..... so many do not. :(

I am hoping it is not a breeder as shots, tails and dewclaws is minimal and nothing to brag about. If you are looking for a Rottie, I would recommend the classified section of your local paper. Not a good route to go for a breed with an already tarnished reputation.
Inga, shouldn't that be a wouldn't not a would recommend?:)

as for removing them...like i said, removing them on a Border doesn't generally work well for them....i've seen some that had theirs removed and they seem to have a hard time "holding" the ground.....i won't ever have mine removed unless it becomes a med issues(i.e. they snag it and cause damage that it needs to be)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts